sleep in the day - myla

last night mum and dad had another argument, i'm not sure what it was about but i know it was bad

last night mum and dad had another argument, i'm not sure what it was about but i know it was bad. bad because this time instead of mum going to auntie janes house, dad gave in first and went god knows where. i woke up to the screaming, though they were clearly making it as quiet as they could be meaning it was late, i picked up my phone to read 01:28. after my eyes had properly opened and i had put my phone down i realised i had left my curtains open so the light from the full moon was streaming in the window lighting up my room as it if wasn't half one.

around twenty minutes after i'd heard the door slam of one parent leave, i heard the scurry of feet down the hall and a careful click of my door handle, isla appeared as a small, tearful silhouette in my doorframe.

i propped myself up and opened my arms wide as she shut the door and ran across my room sniffling, she nestled in and crossed her legs round my legs and rested her head on my chest, snotting all over my shirt, but i didn't complain.

i heard her snoring throughout the night, which means someone got to sleep at least, but i couldn't. what if mum and dad split up? they're not even legally married so it's not like they even have to divorce. will me and isla go back into care?

my mind buzzed around all night, and as much as i wanted to sleep i couldn't put those bees to rest.

~

i had made plans with red for today, but i think i slept for an hour last night so i highly doubt i would have enough energy to have a good time with him.

i picked up the phone and phoned him at 7am, not my usual wakening time but i didn't have anything to wake from this particular morning. his raspy sleepy voice answered the phone,
"hi, what's up? are you okay myla?" he groaned.
i took a deep breath and replied slowly,
"mum and dad fell out again, only dad left this time so i didn't get any sleep. i don't think you should come over today i'm super super tired," i paused
"i'm so sorry red."
he reassured me,
"hey hey, it's okay, look i'll still come over and we don't have to do anything, we'll just put on a movie and you can go to sleep next to me yeah?"
"hmm, yeah." i said it so calmly but i was beaming, no one else i knew had ever done anything like this for me before.

however long after the phone call, i heard my door click again, assuming it was isla i just kept my head down and opened my arms for her to come and snuggle in. i felt a tap on my shoulder and i opened my eyes to see red, shit.

i pulled the duvet over me quicker speeding bullet.
"shit red! i'm not even dressed." i raised my voice at him. of course i was dressed, just not in boyfriend attire,
he reassured me again
"myla you're beautiful, shut up!" he smiled down at me, he sat down on the mattress and pulled a blue plastic back up on top of me,
"i brought you some stuff," he said.
i peered in the back, he'd brought me sour patch kids; our favourite, six- SIX CANS OF COKE?!
"christ red, how much did this cost u?" i looked up and him questioningly,
"ssshhhhh," he whispered, "just don't tell my mum." he continued
"aren't you supposed to be sleeping, come here." he lay down behind me and opened his arms around me, i snuggled my head into the crook of his neck and his arms hugged my waist. he looked at me for a minute, gave me a big sloppy kiss on the cheek as we giggled together and i fell into the land of nod.

i woke up three hours later at 1:03, and red wasn't there, i looked around myself and started to panic, making matters worse was the dream i had just woken from was a nightmare,
i shot up from bed and briskly walked to my door and shouted,
"red! where did you go?"
i waited a couple of seconds and then all of a sudden i heard the bounce of feet coming up the wooden stairs, recognisably they were reds footsteps.
"hey, i'm back i was putting the can in the bin and then i got caught up reading a story to isla." he started, breathing heavily holding my shoulders,
"are you okay?"
i giggled and rolled my eyes slightly,
"another story huh?"
i grabbed reds hand and pulled him back into my room twisting him round in circles like some sort of dance move.

he rocked my shoulders back and forth, looking at me smiling. then, with no warning he pushed my on the bed, straddled on top of me and covered me in bird like kisses, i laughed and squirmed underneath him but he was much stronger than me. we lay there for a minute after, just looking at each other adoringly.