the end

after twenty three years of marriage i could tell angela was gone, and that she had been for a while

i saw her wedding ring on the side of the sink one night as she climbed into bed, pillows between our already distanced bodies, backs facing each other.

when was she going to tell me? how long will she drag this out for? if she wants to end it she can end it, i will be nothing without her but if there's some chance of her finding happiness that's what i want for us.

~

red and myla were away for a few days, not that we were worried, they were both responsible for their age and i know red would keep myla safe, i knew he was good for her.

only in these few days, the adult conversations with angela became a lot more like arguments, or maybe that was obvious. either way, these arguments became shouting matches we were equally losing and winning.

whilst we were hurling insults at each other angela snapped.
"fuck you ezra, this is why i'm sleeping with everyone other than you," she belted over the banister. she froze, we both did.
"angela what did you say?" i whispered, as she continued standing, stiff as a board, mouth dropped open.
"i- i'm sleeping with someone else, i have been for a while." her lips pursed.
"okay." i said, head dropping, tears welling feet shuffling away.

i packed a bag and sat on the front porch, hoping the rain would drown the plants around me so i wouldn't have to leave, but it didn't.

i must have been sat there for hours mulling it over, as a low grumble only to be recognised as my old car emerged from the main road. red and myla were home.

myla could immediately tell something was amis, she ran up out of the car hastily without so much as shutting the car door and jumped onto the porch next to me, in attempts to lift my spirits.

"what happened dad?" she asked, her dopey eyes looking me up and down.
"your mother and i aren't going to stay together sweetie," i answered, i couldn't even look her in the face but i could tell she had begun to cry. she let out a large sniffle and drew a deep breath.
"okay, is there anything you need from me?" i could tell she was being strong for me.
"no sweetie, just promise you'll come and see me sometimes."
"sometimes? i'll visit you all the time dad, you won't be able to get rid of me." she smiled, a smile too big for this situation.

red walked past us both with a bag in hand and stepped into the house, when the door opened and he entered he left it slightly ajar. i could hear angela's soft cry's coming from upstairs, but no more comforting could be done, nor did she deserve it.

i knew this change would be difficult for myla, but if that was how angela wanted it, this would be forever, even if forever wasn't that long.