Chapter 6

By the time Friday arrives, Shade has become a little more open at lunch. He jumps into conversations with the others, but still refuses to talk to me. Not that I really want to talk to him either. 

We made plans to all work on school work together at Nik's house tonight. Everyone got assigned some sort of project so we decided to work together. 

I leave around 6 to head over there. We were supposed to all meet there at 6, but I waited until the last minute, hesitant about leaving Austin home alone with my mom. 

After the other night, my mom promised she was really going to try harder. I'm not sure if she means it or not. 

I talked to her before I left, telling her she needed to be on her best behavior with Austin tonight. I felt like a mother giving instructions to a babysitter. I told her I wouldn't be home too late, but if she needed me, I'd keep my phone on.

When I knocked on the door, Kevin answered, wrapping me in a big hug. I laugh, "Hey Kev."

"T'sup Echo? We're all chillin in the basement, come on in!" He says. 

I follow him in the enormous house. I can tell why this is the hangout place. The place is huge. Nik's parents must be loaded. It's decorated elegantly, but when Kevin leads me to basement, I can tell a man decorated it. 

There's several game tables and a kitchenette, the counters covered in bags of candy and chips. There are large brown couches with a big tv that only a man would pick out. 

I chuckle, "Wow, you guys sure know how to eat healthy."

He laughs, "Well, we are boys. We gotta eat at least half of our daily calories in chips."

"Oh of course," I say sarcastically.

Nik, Shade, and Sophie are already here, sitting on the couch and floor. They all have books or projects in front of them, but they're all just talking. 

I don't see us getting much work done. Shade rolls his eyes at me, "You're late. Everyone got here 30 minutes ago."

"Sorry, I didn't realize me being a few minutes late was gonna get your panties in a twist."

I plop my bag on the floor and take out my papers. 

Kevin looks around the room as he sits down next to me and asks curiously, "Where'd Carly go?"

"Bathroom," Sophie says as she dots her notes with pink pens. 

I detect a hint of something in Kevins voice. I study his face, furrowing my eyebrows. He notices and looks at me in confusion, "What?"

"Oh my god," I say with a small laugh, "You like her!"

Kevin's eyes widen and his pale face reddens in embarrassment, "I-uh, no!"

I laugh, "Oh my gosh, you totally do!"

Nik leans over and talks to me in a hushed voice, but loud enough that everyone can hear it, "He does. He's had a crush on Carly since middle school but he's been too much of a chicken to ask her out."

I smile at this revelation. I'm about to say more, but Carly walks back into the room, wrapping her red curls into a bun on top of her head. She grins happily when she sees me, "Oh hey Echo!"

"Hey Carls," I clear my throat and look towards the still red Kevin, "So, let's start."

We spend an hour working on projects and homework before we take a break to watch some tv. Nik puts on the first episode of Game of Thrones. He turns off the lights and we all sit on the couch.