Volume 2: Chapter 5: Extracurricular

Beacon Amphitheater

During sparring class, Pyrrha Nikos wins a spar against the entirety of Team CRDL.

Glynda approaches from behind Cardin who clutches his ribs.

Glynda: "And that's the match."

Cardin: "Lucky shot."

Cardin then collapses.

Glynda: "Well done, Miss Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

Pyrrha: "Thank you, professor."

Glynda: "Alright, now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match."

Glynda looks around at the observing students.

Glynda: "Any volunteers? Ms. Belladonna?"

Blake then slams her book shut and stares wide-eyed at Glynda.

Glynda: "You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-"

However, before she could finish her sentence, someone else raised their hand.

???: "I'll do it."

Glynda then looks towards the person.

Glynda: "Mercury, is it? Very well, let's find you an opponent."

Mercury: "Actually, I wanna fight... her."

Mercury points to Pyrrha.

Pyrrha: "Me?"

Glynda: "I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished the match. I recommend you choose another partner."

Pyrrha: "No, it's fine! I'd be happy to oblige."

Mercury struts into the arena, visibly sizing up Pyrrha, before starting the fight.

Mercury charges in and kicks at Pyrrha, but she lunges forward, blocks it with her shield, and sweeps his other leg from beneath him with Miló. He falls onto his back but then kicks his legs into the air, spins on his hands, and does a double back handspring. The two stop and stare at each other for a moment as Pyrrha stands up from a kneeling position. She runs forward to attack, but Mercury strikes first, leading her to instead block the first kick with Miló and a second with her shield, before turning around and blocking a further barrage of kicks with her shield.