Chapter 3

It took a while for them to make progress through the throng to get to the main gate. There were soldiers trying to keep the way clear but it was an impossible task as animals tended to do their own thing so it was more a case of making sure everyone and everything was kept moving. Mr. Chapman explained that all people and animals arriving had to go through a strict process of inspection before they were allowed to pass beyond the gate. The animals were checked that they were in good health and were kept under observation for a week. The pens had been set up in such a way that they were always moving towards the gate with the newest arrivals pushing the previous new arrivals to the next pen. Often, animals were deemed unfit after the long sea journey but there was always a need for meat and he pointed out a butcher's yard where those animals were taken. The people also had to be checked for illnesses and while they were waiting for their animals to clear they began the process of selecting their plot of land depending on how much money they had to spend. This was in lots of ways a lottery as the farmers did not have the opportunity to see what they were buying but all were guaranteed that each plot had sufficient grassland. As this process had been ongoing for over 10 years now, all of the land close to the town had been taken and new arrivals were forced to select land further and further from the town. It was fortunate that there were plenty of rivers and streams spread throughout the prairie and cartographers tried to divide the plots so that every farm had access to a water supply and those where it was not possible had to pay other farmers for passage through their lands. Mr. Chapman mentioned that there were often fights over the water rights with more returning everyday to lodge a complaint over other farmers abusing their situation. There had even been instances of shootings and only last month the town had its first hanging in over a year.

By this time, they had reached the gate where a line of armed soldiers were watching disinterestedly behind a line of clerks who were stamping the papers of those coming and going. Thomas noticed that most of the soldiers looked old or infirm and when he mentioned it to Mr. Chapman, he explained that Sabannath was a relatively quiet town and the Kingdom had more pressing needs in other areas of the New Land, what with The Expansion into new territories and protection of gold and slave caravans. When Thomas asked him about the slaves, he repeated what he already had heard back in Kiryn, that the indigenous Noids were a primitive, aggressive and dangerous race. He did add some new information however, that once captured a lot of them became surprisingly docile. This, according to Mr Chapman, made them good workers for the Expansion, which seemed a word that was known to all now. Mr. Chapman went on to say that it was fashionable for nobles and lords from Kiryn to want Noids working on their lands and even in some cases serving in their houses and so slave trading had been growing over the last few years.

Thomas had heard rumours of the King possessing such Noids but had never seen one for himself. He was anxious to do so and asked Mr. Chapman if there were any Noids in Sabbanath but Mr. Chapman replied in the negative explaining that most people here were hard-working simple folk and had no need for such.

Having had their papers checked and cleared they passed under the sentries' arch and passed out into the next layer of the town. It was a relief to be out of the claustrophobic din of people and animals. Lining the straight road ahead were a number of buildings which mainly served as stores for all the needs of the homesteaders in setting up a farm. There was a group of young men lounging outside one particular store and Mr. Chapman explained they had come out on their own passage as there was always a need on a farm for strong hands to do fencing and other manual work. Val, who had been sitting quietly all this time, asked about the Inn and Mr. Chapman pointed to a building at the far end of town where a group of farmers were leading a caravan out onto the plain beyond.

"That's where you will be staying, The New World. As I said before, nothing fancy in comparison to what you gents are used to but clean and if I say so myself, good food" he paused before going on to add "The owners George and Betty are more of an acquired taste though, my Lord" The look on his face showed Val that he did not have a very good opinion of their soon to be landlords. There was a lull in the talking as Thomas and Val watched the Inn come closer into view. Soon though, Mr. Chapman started up the conversation again "Begging your pardon, my Lords, but I was wondering how I should address you both formally. I was given no information as to your status other than that you were travelling on the business of the King."