23| Victory

"Watch out!" Eli warned us as he and the rest dodged the serpent's attack and accelerated forward. I gulped before I revved up Dalinda's engine and continued the race alongside with the rest of the gang, making sure I stay alive to live for another day.

The Shane Gang managed to escape from the first serpent, but Tad's goons had no luck. The frightening creature knocked down half of the goons' mechas, while waking up more serpents as it shook the ground by its aggressive movements.

After dodging a few more attacks from more serpents, we came to an inclining slope that led us out of the terrifying cave. We drove towards it and exited the cave, entering into yet another rocky landscape. There was only a narrow, unstable path. One tiny mistake and you will find yourself falling down into the bottomless cliff.

"Guys! We are getting closer to the finish line and Vance Bolt is still way before us!" Eli yelled as we rushed down the rocky path. "We need a plan!"

"You just realise that?" Mia said as she rolled her eyes playfully.

"Vance is too far ahead, there's no way our mechas can catch up to him!" Kord protested with a frown. "And now that we have a bigger problem. I don't think we can make it out of here alive!"

The ground shook as another crystal serpent ascended only a few metres before us, and let out an ear-piercing roar at us. Eli spun his blaster and fired his Rammstone at the monster. With gleaming white markings around his body, he megamorphed and sent a deadly punch at the serpent's chin, sending it tumbling down the cliff.

"Good job!" Eli praised as our mechas ran past the protoform slug on the ground. "Get home safe!"

We reached the other end of the rocky road and entered a greenish-blue tunnel. We could finally see Vance Bolt way in front of us, but our hopes vanished when his Mecha Horse let out even more concentrated blue flames from its pipes and dashed forward like the speed of lightning.

"Forget about the Narwhaddle, we are never going to win!" Pronto exclaimed as he frowned. "Imagine the amount of money I could earn from selling the one and only Narwhaddle slug!"

"I have an idea," I quickly cut in before everyone started to waste their time to counsel Pronto.

"Since Dalinda could potentially be powered up by Slugfu, which basically is slug energy, maybe firing Fandangoes at her while she fly with blue flames might send her flying with incredible acceleration and we might be able to catch up to Vance Bolt!" I suggested as my slugs cheered from my control panel.

"We don't know if that'll work or if it's safe!" Trixie said.

"It's worth the try!" I replied with determination. "Come on guys, this will be fun!"

"If you say so," Eli said as he loaded up his Fandango. The rest of the gang exchanged a glance, before they did the same.

"On my mark," I said as I once again activated Dalinda's flying mode. Dalinda's legs retracted as her wings expanded, and we were soaring in the air once again. Due to the confined space in the never-ending tunnel, I failed to control Dalinda at first, but when we were stable, I knew we had no time to waste.

"Now!" I screamed as I heard gunfires sounded behind me. I flicked the switch below the red button at the same instant the Flaringoes transformed beside me. The slugs shone with cyan light, transferring precious slug energy to Dalinda. My gasped when I felt Dalinda's body temperature rose at a dangerous rate as she smouldered, the radiance of white light from her markings blinded me.

She slowed down as she almost curled into a ball due to the overwhelming energy received from the slugs. Her body was tensed and her eyes were shut, and when she opened them, she charged forward with unbelievable velocity.