36| The Key

Eli's pov
She doesn't remember.

The phrase kept replaying in my head like a broken recorder ever since I stepped out of her room.

How is this possible?

How can she not remember?

My train of thoughts was cut off when Doctor George exited her room and we immediately stood up from our seats. He walked up to us with a cardboard in his hands.

"Alessia is experiencing many side effects from a brain damage, mainly memory loss. This may be caused by previous head injuries that were not properly treated. I'm assuming that she experienced countless head injuries during her time as a slinger. She is one of the most outstanding slingers in Slugterra after all and is often needed to sling. Admittedly, we still do not have a full understanding about her condition, from how she could practically wake up from the dead, to losing her memories. This never happened before in Slugterrean history," he said.

"Regardless, the first thing I'll do tomorrow morning will be to arrange a meeting with every top doctors in Slugterra to discuss about her condition and treatment. We will certainly give her our best shot for what she has done for the people, but I'll tell you now, we're not confident that we'll be able to bring back her memories."

I wiped away my tears, forcing them to be held back as I nodded at him.

"Thank you, doctor. We know you'll do your best," I managed to say without stammering.

"Thank you," he continued as he looked down at his cardboard. "Son, I don't know if you can relate to this, but Alessia was able to recall the word 'Blue' when she saw you."

I inhaled a sharp breath at that, my body tensed up involuntarily. After three long years, she still remembers me. She remembers Blue.

There is still hope.

Doctor George turned his attention to the rest of the gang. "I need to head back for the night. It has been a tiring day. Alessia needs a good sleep for the rest of the night. I suggests that you could show her pictures of what you all have been through together, or any items that is significant to her, the next morning. I will write to the manager of this hospital to allow Alessia's slugs and mechabeast to enter the hospital tomorrow, to see if she can remember any of them."

"Doctor," I stopped him. "Can we please talk to her now?"

"She is exhausted from what she has experienced today, Eli. I know things are uncertain, but we need to handle this to our best abilities. For now, she needs plenty of rest and personal space to process what is happening to herself. Imagine waking up to a totally unfamiliar environment, with strangers claiming that they know you. I bet she has a lot to take in. Just let her rest for tonight. You may talk to her tomorrow morning."

"Doctor please," I insisted. "I need to talk to her."

He gave me a scan from head to toe. He gave it a thought, before he nodded approvingly.

"If she tells you to leave the room, leave. Only you may go in and talk to her. The others will talk to her tomorrow," he ordered.

Trixie placed a hand on my shoulder, and I turned to look at her. She giving me a strong nod, as if telling me that they will be fine waiting out here for me while I go in.

"Doctor, can you please give us a second?" Mia suddenly asked. Doctor George nodded understandingly, before he walked away, leaving us alone.

"What is it, Mia?" Pronto asked hurriedly, and all eyes were on her. She took in a shaky breath, wiped away her tears, and what she said next made my heart dropped.