thirteen

Bucky POV~
It was the longest night of my life. I was more scared than I'd ever been about Y/N, and every time she screamed in pain it made my heart sink deeper and deeper into worry.

Every so often the white glow would pulse from her finger tips, as a scream left her lips. She didn't wake up, not once. I kept my hand in hers the entire night, and every so often she'd squeeze it, her face going from pained to peaceful.

The Avengers had all visited at different stages of the night, only to have Dr Cho send them away.

Finally, the next morning, I heard a whimper.
"Bucky," Y/N whispered, almost inaudibly.
"Y/N! I'm here, don't worry." She smiled, squeezing my hand before grimacing again.
"I'm sorry."
I smiled. "No, why are you sorry? If anything I should be the one apologising, especially for leaving you in the gym all night by yourself."
"I'm sorry for yelling at you. It wasn't your fault, or Tony's. I feel horrible." A tear rolled down her cheek, and I gently brushed it away with my thumb.
"You were right. I'm sorry we didn't see that earlier. Now stop apologising, okay? You scared the hell out of Nat and I," I said softly.
"Bucky, it hurts," she croaked again. I stroked the back of her hand with my thumb.
"I-I know it does, Y/N. But you have to stay awake, for me, okay?" She nodded slightly, swallowing.
"They hurt you. They tortured you, right before my eyes. They killed you." Her grip on my hand became tighter and tighter as she spoke. I hated seeing her so scared and in so much pain, but all I could offer were words of comfort.
"It was just a dream, okay? You're safe now, no one's going to hurt you."
She nodded softly.

We heard the soft sound of footsteps against the hard tiles of the floor as Dr Cho came over.
"Y/N, glad to see you're awake. I was wondering if you could explain exactly what happened, if you remember."
She nodded, swallowing as she gripped my hand tighter and tried to sit up. I placed my free hand under her arm to help her.
"I was angry, then sad, then guilty. It felt like all emotions just mixed together until that weird white glow shot out of me, almost like an explosion. It hurt, a lot," she explained softly, massaging her temples.
"That gives me the final confirmation then, I guess. Y/N, you said that Hydra had tried to force powers out of you, they said that you had them, right?" She nodded, gulping. "Well, I think that 'white glow' was your powers. And the way you described the overflow of emotions, I guess they're connected to how you're feeling somehow. The problem is, all of your powers are trying to escape at once, and that's why you're experiencing fever and pain, almost like side effects of your body not being able to handle the amount of power inside it."

Y/N POV~
"P-Powers?" You could barely even hear yourself utter the word. Dr Cho nodded. "It makes no sense, why now?" You felt a sharp pain shoot through your temples as your breathing quickened.
"My guess is how rapidly your life has changed. And whatever happened before the episode, that must've just been the last straw," Dr Cho said.
"So she's going through all this because of me," Bucky whispered shakily. I placed a hand on his arm.
"Bucky, no, don't blame it on yourself. It would've happened no matter what, and like I said, that wasn't your fault."
He stood, shaking his head. "No, Y/N! You almost died, and it's all my fucking fault!" He yelled. "I was so worried I was going to lose you, and it's all my fault." His voice was quieter now as he repeated the phrase. " I have to leave."
"Bucky, no!" You cried out for him to stop but he kept walking. All of a sudden the sharp pain in your head spread, causing you to scream in pain. The white glow spread across the whole room, and everything was... frozen in time.

Bucky held his position near the door, not even blinking an eye. Dr Cho froze in her position near your bed, staring unmoving at the monitors, which were also frozen. You looked at your hands, wisps of the white aura floating around you. You had frozen time.

The pain ran through your hands this time, and you quickly clenched your fists. The white glow disappeared as everything started again. Bucky slammed the door as he left the room.
Dr Cho sighed. "He shouldn't of done that. It could've affected your condition. But, I think a visitor will help you. Is there someone else you want to see?"
You nodded. "I need to speak to Nat."

A/N~
Hey guys! Sorry I didn't update yesterday, it took me a while to figure this chapter out. I hope it turned out okay!

I have a few shoutouts I would like to make for their amazing support of this story, they are all amazing people and you should definitely check them and their stories out:

Kitty_071911
oxainsxo
xrebeccax86

Again, thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me and encourages me to keep writing which I really appreciate.

Love you all and have a spectacular day!
<3