chapter twenty-three

Every inch of Yael's body ached, in a good way

Every inch of Yael's body ached, in a good way. She turned her head on the pillow, smirking at Haustin beside her. He sure knew how to turn a woman inside out, a skill she was more than happy to take advantage of. Glancing at the clock, she noted it was already eight and stretched. Sitting and rubbing the grogginess from her eyes, she grinned as Haustin stirred.

"It's early," he grumbled.

"No, it's not, not really. I should get going." But instead of rising, she leaned back against the headboard.

His arm snaked around her bare waist. "Stay."

"I have to see Miriam. It's been two days since I visited her. I'm a terrible granddaughter."

"Blame me." He nuzzled her belly, trailing kisses over her abdomen, and the lightness of his lips caused her to giggle.

"Oh, I do blame you, at least for last night. The rest has been all business. There aren't enough hours in the day."

Haustin traced his thumb across her lips, and desire sparked, spreading and attempting to reduce her to ashes. With a groan, she pushed him away and swung her legs over the side of the mattress.

"Want me to come with?"

Yael slipped into a pair of yoga pants, touched by his offer. She'd return later to shower and make herself presentable for Haustin's kids.

"No, sleep a little more. We can't do my family and yours in one day. Too much."

"Are you sure about meeting Miles and Luna? Last chance to bail." He flashed her a grin.

Pulling a tank top over her head, she gathered her hair into a messy bun, stalling for time. If she told him it scared her to death, that she was afraid she'd made a mistake suggesting the get-together, would he be upset? Would he take her seriously if she joked about the extra meetings she attended this week to prepare?

She didn't want to be afraid, so she leaned down and kissed him before saying, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Turning away from the tempting man in her bed, Yael took off for her grandmother's. It was beautiful out. Clear blue sky peeked through the buildings, a soft breeze chasing away most of the usual smog. She crossed the street to the bakery halfway between her place and Miriam's, the one she often stopped at when not lugging armfuls of her own goodies. Stepping in, she spotted Val, the owner's niece, struggling with a flattened and overly brown loaf of bread. The pink-haired young woman glanced up, and relief flooded her features.

"Oh, good morning. I was worried you were Aunt Belinda."

No other customers were in the tiny bakery, and Yael peered over the counter at Val's mess. "Did you proof your yeast?"

A horrified expression slackened the girl's round face. "That's what I forgot. My aunt mentioned it twice when I assured her I could open the store." Val tossed the foil pan in the trash. "Now I have to start over."