chapter seven

Keeping an eye on Haustin, Yael returned to Wendy on trembling legs

Keeping an eye on Haustin, Yael returned to Wendy on trembling legs. He was real. Her thoughts spun, unable to settle. His presence dug up every single one of her nightmares, but with the trepidation came a healthy dose of excitement too, the kind that came from meeting a good-looking guy.

Wendy caught sight of her approaching and excused herself from Alex and his buddies.

"I can't believe it," she gushed, drawing Yael into a shadowed corner.

"I know. I mean, I've always been curious when it came to him." Yael's fluttering fingers combed through her hair. "Has Alex told you anything?" The words sounded silly, reminding her of life as a freshman and how they used to giggle over the upperclassmen, but it was too late to take them back.

"Divorced, or in the process of, two kids."

"That much I know."

"He's a legend with the department. A hero with no limits, no fear. Be careful. though. According to Alex, Haustin has some pretty nasty demons—drugs, temper, kind of a lone wolf."

She nodded. "Things I can understand."

"I just don't want you adding more to your plate right now."

"But what are the odds of seeing him again? That he works with your boyfriend?" Wendy opened her mouth, ready with more concerns, but Yael cut her off. "He's taking me home."

"Yael!"

"That's all, Wendy. Relax."

Studying Haustin across the bar as he chatted with one of his friends, she tried to be subjective. He intrigued her. His restless, brooding energy called to her, and she wondered if his hands were calloused, what they would feel like on her skin. Fire ignited in her belly, and, next to her, Wendy snorted.

"What?"

"I take it back. Judging from the look on your face taking him home might be exactly what you need."

"Wendy!" A blush crept into her cheeks, and the tingle intensified. Interesting, she observed as desire wrapped its claws around her stomach and a bad idea.

Besides, he probably didn't go for train wrecks like her.

Shaking her head to clear away the thoughts, she cursed her lack of self-confidence. She turned to Wendy and hugged her.

"I plan on being a good girl. I'll call you tomorrow."

Her friend squeezed tight before letting go. "It's nice to have you back."

Yael wound through the crowd to where Haustin waited. In his presence, the shock returned. It really was him. When her gaze met his, a flare of anxiety shot through her body. The last time she looked into them, she was frightened for her life, trapped in a tiny room. Forcing herself to breathe, she clung to her purse for support.