chapter eight

Moving onto the balcony, a cup of green tea in hand, Yael watched the rising sun as it illuminated Central Park and mulled over why Haustin had clammed up when they arrived at her building the night before

Moving onto the balcony, a cup of green tea in hand, Yael watched the rising sun as it illuminated Central Park and mulled over why Haustin had clammed up when they arrived at her building the night before. She was anxious to see him again but doubted he'd call after his reaction. Scratch that. His overreaction. Did he really have such a strong prejudice towards her name? Surely he could tell by looking at her and spending time with her she wasn't some rich snob.

It was unfortunate because she found him intriguing as well as good-looking. His cropped hair and broad shoulders had remained the same over the years, but the lines around his mouth had deepened, and his moss-colored eyes spoke of hardships. Her attraction might be inappropriate or ill-timed, but Yael couldn't deny the connection between them. Despite their shared history, she was still a woman with a pulse, and he made it spike—a lot.

She hummed to herself as she got ready to visit Miriam and, while applying cat eyes in liquid liner, a random thought paused her hand.

What if she tried working at Malkah Enterprises?

Her heart skipped, not in fear, but anticipation. The company was her legacy. Should she walk away from it altogether? Didn't she owe it to her parents to try? She wouldn't have to start with anything serious, a small project to re-familiarize herself.

Blood thrummed through her veins, and she caught her reflection smiling, hope lighting her brown eyes. It'd been so long since she felt challenged in a positive way. Of course, Veronica would object, saying it was too much, too soon.

The idea picked up steam and, eager to speak with Miriam, Yael rushed to finish applying her makeup. Standing in front of the closet in her bra and panties, she remembered the awkward confrontation with Casey. Whether she liked him or not, they would have to interact on some level if she returned. So, she'd learn to deal with it. In case she went to the office later, and hoping it sent the message that she was there to work, she slipped into a slim pencil skirt and wrap-around blouse. After yesterday's outfit, these were the nicest pieces of clothing she had brought. It might be time for a quick shopping trip.

She ironed out her plan as she wrapped a loaf of zucchini bread. The previous night, she'd been too amped up to sleep, her mind busy with fate and the past, so she chose to spend some time in the kitchen. The familiar actions of measuring and baking helped her process her thoughts, allowing sleep to finally come. She left for her grandmother's, loaf nestled in her arms and flashing a grin at the doorman, sauntered from the lobby, for once not trailed by ghosts.

Dorota answered the door, an ever-present smile plastered on her face. "Morning, Yael."

"Good morning. I made this late last night. It's not much, but I wanted to show you I appreciate all you've done."

The nurse closed her eyes and breathed deep. "Oh my, this smells amazing. How long have you been baking?"

"For the last two years I worked at a bakery in Santa Monica. The owner was kind enough to teach me all about breads and pastries, but I love to experiment on my own." She patted the loaf, neglecting to mention Autumn's patience when Yael went to rehab or the many days she didn't show up at all. "It's organic. You said Miriam doesn't eat many solids, so I hope you enjoy it."