chapter thirty-nine

Idly doodling on a scratch pad, Yael experimented with ideas and menus for her bakery

Idly doodling on a scratch pad, Yael experimented with ideas and menus for her bakery. Casey had already demanded a standing appointment for half-off anything he wanted on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, as well as every other Sunday. She smirked. The man ate like a fourteen-year-old boy with a bottomless pit in his gut, and it certainly didn't do anything to his body. Her cheeks flushed, and she shook her head. He did that a lot, sneaking up on her when she least expected it.

"Hey, Yael," Wendy greeted as she breezed in, setting her purse on the floor and collapsing into a chair. "New York City was not made for ninety degree days. We should take a cue from Las Vegas and install misters along the sidewalk."

"That'd be nice. The air gets so still down here in all these high rises. No breeze." Yael's nerves kicked up knowing Wendy likely had information about Peter, thus the reason for her visit.

"So, how's life?"

"Good. I decided not to let my outburst yesterday bother me. I appreciated the positive articles, though. Feels nice to know not everyone sees me the way the Post does." She frowned. "Miriam's had a rough week, rougher than normal, so I automatically feel guilty for having easy days."

"Miriam would be the first person to tell you to savor each moment."

"She wouldn't be as eloquent about it, her words would be harsher, but you're right. My usual default is to look at life with a glass-half-full attitude. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or another silly cliché."

"Backsliding three times can do that to a person. It's been a year, sweetie. Give yourself a break. Don't look in the rearview."

"Isn't that a song title?"

They were interrupted by Casey sticking his head in the door. His smile faded when he noticed she wasn't alone.

"Oh, sorry. I can talk to you later."

"No, Casey. It's okay. Come in." Yael stood and skirted her desk. "This is my best friend, Wendy. Wendy, Casey Castañeda."

"I've heard a lot about you," Wendy studied him with a frank stare and Yael tried not to smirk as Casey fidgeted. Wendy had that effect on men and women alike. "You certainly live up to the hype."

"Um, thanks?" Casey peered at Yael and she offered him a grin. He recovered and said, "Apparently, I've been in the wrong office all morning. You two are much better looking company than Bob from Accounting. Did I interrupt something important?"

"Why? Were your ears burning?" Yael widened her grin.

"There are worse things than being discussed by a couple of gorgeous women. Must be my lucky day."

A dimple flashed in his left cheek, and she felt her body respond. Why couldn't he be ugly? Balding? A little voice spoke up, causing her to avert her eyes, saying it wouldn't matter what he looked like. Casey would still be Casey; attractive to her because of his soul, how he treated Miriam, and his wicked sense of humor, and how he could instantly calm or relax Yael when she needed it.