chapter twenty-five

Yael waited near the lake in Central Park, running a thumb over the tattoo on her wrist

Yael waited near the lake in Central Park, running a thumb over the tattoo on her wrist. Sitting still was impossible with the churning in her stomach and a fluttering heart. Glancing down at her cuffed jean capris and flowery tank top, she hoped it didn't look like she was trying too hard, or too little.

Idly, she ran a hand over her hair, making sure the ponytail was straight. Ordering herself to stop freaking out about her appearance, she watched the commotion of the park instead. Children ran screaming among scattered picnic blankets. A toddler wobbled between his parents, chubby fingers clutching theirs in a death grip. Bicyclists pedaled past. Dogs barked and frolicked. There were even a couple of men with dreadlocks playing steel drums nearby. Midsummer brought Central Park to life with fresh green trees and the smell of cut grass, a true urban oasis.

Haustin arrived, followed by two tweens with differing expressions and body language. The girl, tall and dark like her father, sported indecently short shorts and a scowl that distracted from her pretty features. The boy's infectious grin stretched his soft, pre-teen face. He appeared to have just hit a growth spurt judging from his gangly arms and legs and feet that were too big for his body.

As they got closer, Yael sucked in a fortifying breath.

"Hey, Yael." Haustin cleared his throat, crossing and uncrossing his arms before stuffing his hands in his pockets. "This is Luna and Miles."

Fixing a bright smile on her face, she offered her hand. "I've heard a lot about you guys."

The kids reacted in polar opposites. While Miles shook her hand and gazed up at his dad in wonder, Luna regarded her with boredom.

"Funny, we haven't heard about you until today," the girl said.

"Luna," Haustin barked.

A few seconds of awkward silence passed until Yael spoke in a jumbled rush. "You guys want ice cream? I forgot how hot it can be in the city."

Miles nodded eagerly, so she acted on instinct and threaded her arm through his as they headed in the direction of a cart selling waffle cones. She half-expected him to put some distance between them, but he shot her a shy smile and whispered, "Dad did talk about you a little on the way here."

"Thanks."

"Are you from here?"

"I grew up here and left after 9/11. I went to L.A. for a few years."

"And you met my dad at Ground Zero?"

"Yes." She didn't go into detail. The day was too beautiful for dark shadows.

"Is it really sunny every day of the year in L.A.?"

She waited until they gave the vendor their orders before answering. "It's closer to ninety percent of the time. It might sound nice, but the sun got old pretty fast. You know how on a cold, rainy day you want to stay inside, snuggle and read or watch movies?" He nodded. "Constant sun made it impossible. And I missed snow."