Chapter One

"What's your username going to be?" My friend squealed as she took a seat next to me, grabbing my laptop so that it was shared on our laps. She could see everything. Her nose practically turned up, "Oh girl, why?"

'Looking_For_Love' was my username only because the continuation of it, 'In All The Wrong Places', didn't fit within the character limits. It was meant to be sarcastic. Seems Nelly didn't understand my pun.

The only reason I was setting up a dating profile was thanks to her humiliating my prolonged single life at any chance she could get. What was wrong with me being single?

I shrugged, "It's already done. No turning back."

"Those things can be changed!" She tried taking my laptop from me but I acted fast and snatched it away, then closed it. No more looking at that awful website for a long time.

At least I created it, now she could leave me alone for a little while until she caught on that I wasn't using it. Ever. I placed my laptop on the coffee table and ignored Nelly's behavior for the rest of the night. Whatever show or movie she put on I paid no mind to... I was thinking about the nonprofit. 

All I wanted was for her to leave so I could get back to organizing our upcoming fundraiser.

"Mia." Fingers snapped in front of my face and drew me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm?" I glanced at my friend who was staring wide eyed at me.

"You missed the latest episode of Schitt's Creek! You just zoned out the whole time."

"Oh... I'll stream it some time. Sorry, I'm just exhausted." I mumbled sheepishly while faking a yawn.

She put the remote down after turning off the TV and stood, cracking her back in the process. My friend had huge boobs so her back was working overtime just to keep her upright. But she was Latina and always said the nationality and the giant boulders on her chest came as a packaged deal. Although, that was just a stereotype.

I watched her leave with a goodbye wave and plopped down on the sofa, swinging my legs onto it to spread myself out. Then I grabbed my laptop and began planning. Bullshit I was tired...

Hours stacked onto more hours passed by without me even noticing. I sighed with the realization that I had to wake up at seven a.m., just four hours from now. My laptop closed unwillingly after I admired my progress.

The walk to my bed was a struggle but I got there just fine. Before I slip into sleep, it's a habit of mine to check my phone, so I grabbed it where it fell between the pillows and went through it aimlessly. Usually I never had a single text unless it was from work. No voicemails. But I did have quite a strange number of emails this time.

I opened Gmail and saw a bunch from the dating site. Most were profile views and a handful of messages. I started opening them just for a laugh before bed:

Hi cutie xx looking for some love? -Jason

Baby u looking fine in that black dress, hmu -Trevon

wana come over right now and fuck, i'm free for u all night -Larry

But the best one...

horny, 55, looking for a young girl like you to keep me youthful. i'll do anything for u, let's meet for coffee sometime or out somewhere. i'm married so nothing can happen at my place. -Matt

I sneered in disgust and deleted all the emails. Men should learn manners - and spelling - before messaging a girl. What kind of girl do they take me for? I even put on my profile that I help run a nonprofit for kids! Guess they only messaged because of my profile picture that Nelly picked out from the night we went out for her birthday last year.