12. The Chamber of Secrets' Story

For a few days, the school could talk of little else but the attack on Mrs Norris. It had affected everyone. Harry had even told Y/N and Ron that Justin Finch-Fletchley, a Hufflepuff, had run away when he saw him.

Hermione had been changed by the attack too. YN was used to sitting next to her as she read but usually, she answered his questions and talked a bit. Now, she had become a wall.

On Wednesday that followed Mrs Norris' attack, Y/N was in the library with Harry and Ron. That day, they had History of Magic together. Ron was trying desperately to finish the three-foot-long composition due to this day. Apparently, he was still eight inches too short.

"Can't you show me what you did?" he begged Y/N.

"Alright, alright. Here it is." Ron jumped on the parchment. "You know, you had ten days to do it."

Hermione suddenly emerged from the bookshelves. She didn't look in her best mood.

"All the copies of Hogwarts: A History have been taken out," she said, sitting down next to Y/N. "And there's a two-week waiting list. I wish I hadn't left my copy at home, but I couldn't fit it in my trunk with all the Lockhart books."

"So that's what you searched!" Y/N said. "I've got mine, you know. You should have asked me. But why do you want it?"

"The same reason everyone else wants it, to read up on the legend of the Chamber of Secrets," Hermione said.

"You wouldn't find anything in the book," Y/N told her. "It only mentions the name of the Chamber, that's all."

"Y/N, what did you write there?" Ron asked, showing a line in his composition.

Hermione snatched the parchment out of his hand.

"You've had all the time you needed to work on that," she said sternly. She turned to Y/N and added in the same tone, "And you, you shouldn't help him like that."

"Come on, Hermione," Ron whined, "I'm really going to get a bad mark."

She was already walking away. Y/N checked his watch and quickly followed her. If they didn't move fast, they were going to be late. Not that Professor Binns was particularly bothered by pupils being late. He didn't care for anything but his lessons.

As they got inside the corridor where the History of Magic classroom was, Ron still whined about his homework.

"I feel we're going to have fun," Y/N said with sarcasm tainting his voice.

"I hate that class," Ron grumbled.

His point of view was perfectly understandable. History of Magic was the dullest subject on their schedule. Professor Binns, who taught it, was their only ghost teacher, and the most exciting thing that ever happened in his classes was his entering the room through the blackboard.

Today was as boring as ever. Professor Binns opened his notes and began to read in a flat drone like an old vacuum cleaner as everyone began to doze. He had been speaking for half an hour when something happened that was unbelievable. Hermione put up her hand.

Professor Binns looked amazed and stopped his deadly dull lecture on the International Warlock Convention of 1289.

"Miss—er—?"

"Granger, Professor. I was wondering if you could tell us anything about the Chamber of Secrets," said Hermione in a clear voice.

Other pupils, who had been sleeping for the vast majority of them, raised their head. Professor Binns blinked.