5 • Ghosts and Their Songs

🌪

🌪

I feel as if I'm sinking. Cold satin pets my skin, cradling me deeper and deeper. Bubbles tickle my left ear as they rise above.

Do you know who you are?

That voice. I know that voice. It's that giant humanoid made of storms.

Do you, child of Atlas?

My eyes creak open, taking in the unnaturally still ocean above me. There's no current, no rippling from a passing wave, no whale song, no fish. It's not right. It doesn't feel right and I'm instantly unnerved. I can't see the humanoid anywhere, though I'm barely able to move my eyes let alone my neck. The stillness of this strange ocean echoes inside of me. I feel heavy, lethargic, confused.

You must remember who you are, from whence you came.

My lips part to reply, but all I can manage is a bubble. I try to think my words instead, hoping he can hear them.
I don't understand. What do you mean?

There's a thunder rolling growl as something massive moves around me. The water doesn't ripple with its shifting, but I can feel the large weight churning around me.

You have a story that goes deeper than you've been led to believe. In your blood is a history rich with tragedy, with an ancestry predating the Christian Era. Things were done. Things were changed. Loss and blood split onto the stones of your people's homeland. The great purpose lost to an era no longer present.

My brow furrows as I try to make sense of what he's saying. He continues on, swimming invisibly around me in slow lazy churns.

I have tried many times to fix that which I created. I meddled enough to spawn chaos, but not enough for this tragedy to finally reach its end. Now we are at the final stand. You must remember or everything will crumble, your ancestry drifting into the currents of time forever lost to myth.

I swallow, feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. I don't understand these dreams. I don't understand the hallucinations. I don't understand how I got to the point I'm at now in my life. My memory began with a stranger's kiss, everything before is darkness. My world is bleak, my future even bleaker. I have no past. I barely have a future. All I can call my own is the present and even that is like trying to hold sand against an ocean's waves. Just when I think I have a good grip on those sands, the world, my body, my lungs, my memory - they snatch them out of my fingers until all that remains are a dusting of grains.

Why me?

The humanoid storm appears over me, looking like a giant.