2• Can't Feel

🌪

🌪

Thunder rolled in the deep blue clouds. I groan softly, feeling hung over and sore. A heaviness permeated the air. Humidity, humanity, and humility all intertwined into a perfect storm.

My eyes creak open, a soft moan leaves my lips. All above me, in those dark stormy clouds that billow angrily, struck dark lightning. It's so powerfully magnified, that the strikes tingle across my flesh though they don't touch me.

I feel more alive than I can ever remember being. It punctures my lungs, breathing life into those desolate frail organs. Static trembles through my veins. Power surges through my bones. A beast deep within me that's been slumbering for so long, awakens. Majestically it roars to the thundering skies, answering the calls of home.

My fingers clench the earth beside me, digging deep into the finest sands.

With more ease than I'm use to, I sit up and take in my surroundings. I'm on a patch of the whitest purest sand, all around it and me are swirling billowing clouds. These clouds are fear inspiring, dark black with deep blue undercurrents. They engulf all else but where I trek.

Lightning strikes the sand near me. I gasp in shock and scramble back. In the split second it takes, once the smoke clears, a beautiful glass sculpture splinters and morphs, growing in impossible formations.

I can only watch on, unable to breathe or move, unable to feel. My eyes are wide and unblinking as they take in the magnificence of it all. A glass tree, tall and looming, grows to fruition. Leaves and flowers ignite into being. Beneath the surface are currents of electricity that are thriving and alive.

I hesitantly get to my feet, easing towards this gorgeous creation. Half of me is overwhelmed with curiosity and wonder, the other half is trembling in trepidation.

With each step, my bare feet sink into the sands. With each step, my breath catches. I'm not exactly sure for what reason, only that something about this inhuman thing causes some sort of exhilaration I've been estranged to for so long.

I pause in front of the tree, just gazing at each and every intricacy. When my fingers touch the glass a gust of energy blows against me. I do not falter. I do not fall.

My head falls back as my body is lost in this euphoria. I'm struck dumb by it. Above me the glass flowers wilt and the glass leaves fall. My presence destroyed this magnificent structure. I shook it to its core. I shook the leaves right off its branches.

Now it lays barren, awaiting its reawakening with the changing seasons.

The thunder tumbles like giants fighting a bloody battle in the skies. The sound grows, rattling my bones.