Somehow (Paul imprint story) Ch 19

Mavis’s POV

“Paul, can we go to a cafe before we go to the beach?” I asked Paul as I buckled up my seatbelt.

“Sure, whatever you want, Mavi.” Paul answered with a huge grin on his face.

I smiled, “Thanks, Paul.”

Some caffeine would help wake me up...

I rubbed my tired eyes and realised that Paul was still not driving.

“Um...Pau-“

I watched as his brown eyes stared anxiously at me in answer. Paul lifted his shaking hand towards my face and I let out a nervous gasp.

He paused in his action and his head tilted in hesitation. My body was frozen in place and I could not tear my eyes away from his dark, handsome face. My heartbeat was out of control and I could felt the sweat building up on my palm. I then felt his finger brushing against my skin and I blinked in surprise. Lying on Paul’s index finger was a brown eyelash.

“Make a wish?”

I smiled and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath and blew.

I wish life could always be this pleasant...

“What was your wish?” Paul questioned with burning curiosity in his eyes.

I shook my head at him, refusing to tell him. “If I tell you, it won’t come true.”

“Come on, Mavi. If it doesn’t come true, I will make it come true.” Paul boasted while flexing his muscles at me. I stiffed a laugh and continued to shake my head.

“Alright then, let’s go.” Paul suggested, looking slightly defeated and disappointed.

I nodded in agreement and gave him a small pat on his shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------

“Here you go, Mavi, your cappuccino.”

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply as the refreshing smell of coffee hit my nostrils.

“Thanks Paul.” I exclaimed, eager for the sweet taste of coffee in my mouth.

Paul’s POV

“Thanks Paul.”

Silently, I watched as Mavis took a small sip of her cappuccino and how her sweet and angelic smile brightened up her pretty face. My heart began to pump faster and I felt the urge to confess to her. She needs to know my feelings towards her and most importantly, who I really am.

I cleared my throat quickly and avoided her curious gazes.

Now? Should I?

“Um…Mavis? I have s-something I wanted to tell you f-for a long time. You…I…” I stammered and whined to myself at the embarrassing progress I’ve made.

I took a deep breath and forced my eyes to meet hers.

“Mavis, please don’t run off screaming after I am finish with my little speech. Promise me you won’t leave me. Promise me you will give me time to explain before you make your decision. Please…Promise.”

I stopped and waited for an answer. I stared into Mavi’s eyes, hoping to see a small sign of agreement. But no matter how hard I tried, there was a sudden blank expression on Mavis’ delicate features.

After a few silent minutes, she finally let out a small nod. It was not until then that I realised that I have been holding my breath all along. I looked around the beach and sighed. This might be the best place to confess in all of La Push.

Mavis’s POV

“Um…Mavis? I have s-something I wanted to tell you f-for a long time. You…I…”

I froze and forced myself to keep a blank look on my face.

From my experiences, I know for sure that when someone randomly begins a speech about something, nothing will end well from there.

That is also the reason why I missed out most of the words from Paul’s “speech”.

“Mavis, please…with my little speech. Promise…leave me. Promise…give me time …explain… decision. Please…Promise.”

I blinked again in slight confusion, shaking my head a little. I tried to link up all the words I heard and it felt like I was trying to solve a puzzle piece, not all the words matched and my head began to feel heavy.

iPod…Where are you?

Aidan?

Music…NO…

I was suddenly searching for a way out of this one. All those times when I was rejected from people’s homes, I had swiftly moved out of those places, but now…I realised that I didn’t want to be the one left alone.

This time…allow me to be the one to leave, instead of…the other way around.

I placed a cheerful smile on my face and faced Paul again. “Hey Paul, let me say something before you do, okay?”

Paul hesitated, but nodded in the end.

“Aidan asked me to go back home…with his family!” I rushed out the words as I continued to smile brilliantly at Paul. “I have a place that I truly belong to now. It’s okay now. I will be fine from now on. I have Aidan and his mum and his d-“

“Wait.”

I stopped as Paul interrupted me.

“Yeah?”

“This means…that you are leaving…leaving La Push?”  Paul muttered quietly as he stared down at his hands. “Right, Mavis?”

I felt a pang of pain in my heart as I answered him, “Of course, Paul. Aidan wanted us to leave early so I decided to go with him tomorrow.”

And now…I just have to inform Aidan that we are leaving tomorrow…

All of a sudden, being alone with Paul was too overwhelming. No, being in La Push was too overwhelming. I felt like I would crumble into a mess again and then I would be the only one left alone and vulnerable…Again.

Tonight…Maybe we should leave tonight instead…

“Oh.” Came my reply and I turned away from Paul to hid my bitter smile as tears slowly escaped from my eyes.

Paul’s POV

She seemed so happy…so content with her life…Do I really want to ruin it now for her? Telling her that I love her but hey, sorry, I am actually a shape shifter and that all those legends about vampires, werewolves are all true…She would have to accept a whole new world, one that is the opposite of her normal life…

I sighed and swallowed back all those loving words and confessions.

I need time to think this through…

Except I don’t have much time left, only until tomorrow…