08

Mary had informed me that she would be going to town to run some errands early this morning, which left me here, with Mister Arlington.

"Remeber now, don't go upstairs unless Mister Arlington calls for you." Mary spoke as she entered the car, I nodded in reply. She smiled at me, "i'll see you this afternoon then."

I gave her another nod before closing the car door and stepping back, watching as she turned the engine on and backed out of the garage.

I admit I was curious about what was upstairs, after all constantly repeating that rule who wouldn't be curious. But I would respect their rule, this was my second chance and I wasn't about to ruin it over my curiosity.

Which lead me to my current predicament. I had served breakfast and brewed Mister Arlington's coffee, yet he still hadnt come down yet. I waited at the bottom of the staircase, trying to peek upstairs. Again, I tried my futile attempt of getting his attention by rapping my knuckles on the wall, with a frown I walked outside and picked up some small stones from the driveway before I stood at the front of the house and begin throwing the pebbles at his window, one at a time.

"God damn it," he shouted furiously, making me stop. It wasn't long before there were stomps from his room before the curtains were violently pulled aside and one of the windows were opened.

He looked horrible, yet somewhat handsome at the same time. His hair falling over his forehead, his crumpled white button up dress shirt was half unbuttoned showing his toned chest, his eyes held dark circles under them and his eyes glowed with an annoyed rage.

"Stop that ruckus!" he shouted out the window.

I ignored his rudeness, curtsying before I impersonated someone drinking tea. He huffed, raking his hand through his hair and down his face. "I'll be down in a minute."

I walked back inside, sitting at the dinner table and sipping on my tea as I waited for him. It took him a few minutes to come down but when he did I noticed he had a pen and paper in his hand.

Sitting in his usual seat at the head of the table he pushed the pen and paper towards me, to which I raised my head and looked at him blankly.

"To have a conversation."

I nodded, pulling the pen and paper closer to me.

"When is your birthday?" he asked.

In perfect cursive letters, I wrote before sliding it back to him.

February 9th

"So, how old are you?" he asked, sliding the paper back to to me.

Nineteen. And you are?

He hesitated, rereading what I hat written before placing the paper down. "I'm twenty three." After answering he didn't pass the paper back, instead he scrunched it into a ball before placing it into the pocket of his coat. After that, the room was thick with silence, it was almost suffocating.

I ate quickly, trying to do my best to keep my intentions discreet. I stood, taking my dishes to the kitchen. It wasn't long before Mister Arlington entered, placing his empty plate and utensils beside me before leaving the kitchen.

Once he left I relaxed, sighing softly to myself. Mister Arlington retired upstairs for the rest of the morning while I did my chores before paying a visit to Benjamin. I sat down and read by his stall, passing him an apple that he ate out of my hand everyone and a while.

After and hour went by I returned inside to prepare some scones and tea. Just as I placed the scones into the oven there was a knock on the door, after dusting the flour on my hands onto my apron I made my way to the door.

I opened the door, finding a tall man, dressed in a suit, with shoulder length brown hair that I was tied up, standing in front of me. His brow raised as he took me in.

"You're new!"

I gave him a small curtsy before standing.

"Oh, forgive me, my name is Julian I'm looking for Castriel. He's a friend of mine."

I nodded and stood aside for him to enter, remembering Castriel was Mister Arlington's middle name.

"So what's your name? Castriel never mentioned having a girl around home."

"Who is it?" Mister Arlington called as he came down the stairs, interutping Julians half sided conversation with me.

"Ah, Castriel it's Julain."

"Julian!"

I moved aside as I let the two reaquaint themselves, I watched slightly in awe as the two men hugged each other, firmly clapping a hand on each other back before pulling away.

"So who's the girl?" Julian asked, winking at me.

"She's a maid I got from Gordon."

"Really! So you wouldn't mind if I–"

"Absolutly not," Mister Arlington said immediately, cutting his friend off.

"She's so pretty, where did Gordon find her and since when did you start going to those types of functions, not to mention but you look like an old man with that cane..." Julian rambled all while walking into the lounge room, leaving Mister Arlington to follow behind him as if it weren't his house.

I frowned, shaking my head before I made my way to the kitchen, where I made a tray of tea and biscuits for the two. I brought out the tray, setting it down on the glass coffee table where each of the them sat on different couches.

"Is Mary still gone?" Mister Arlington asked, facing me, to which I nodded in reply.

"Mary! She's still around, I haven't seen her in year's."

Mister Arlington waved his hand dismissively as he turned back to Julian. With that I made my way back to the kitchen. It wasn't until after I served the two scones did Mary come back, once she had found out Julian was here she told me to spend some time with Benjamin. I did so without questioning, well verbally.