23

"Did you get the keys?" Mister Arlington asked, walking towards me from where he had parked the car.

I held the keys up as proof, giving them a soft shake before walking to the warehouse and opening one of the doors enough for both Mister Arlington and I to slip into before closing the door.

"A flower shop," Mister Arlington stated looking around the vast expanse of the warehouse.

"Exactly, no one w-would think to l-look here."

He hummed in response. Taking that as the end of our conversation I strolled over to a fancy couch — one you would more likely see in the Queens palace than this place — that was positioned in the corner. There a couple sets of wooden chairs and tables that were set on rugs around the couch, leading me to assume it was a sitting area for customers to enjoy a cup of coffee.

"We can sleep here," I announced, moving the table sets off of the rugs and placing a cushion from the couch onto the ground. When I didn't receive a response from Mister Arlington I turned to survey the room, only to find a number of plants and empty space.

"Mister Arlington?" I called.

No response.

Only then did panic start to rise to my chest. I did my best to snuff my anxiety before I started to explore the warehouse, searching for Mister Arlington. Nightfall was setting in quick, which made the warehouse full of all sorts of plants creepier than it was supposed to.

"Mister Arlington?" I called again.

"Quiet down, it's not a hiding spot if you announce to everyone we're here."

I jumped, snapping to my left where Mister Arlington had appeared from.

"Here."

He threw a small box before walking past me, leaving me to narrowly catch the object. I followed after him, turning the box around as I did so, finding that it was a first aid kit.

When we arrived at our sleeping corner Mister Arlington took place on the ground, momentarily surprising me.

"You can take the c-couch," I insisted.

Mister Arlington ignored me, "hurry up and clean your wounds, I still have to tend to mine."

"Right," I responded, looking around for a mirror or something that reflected my image, though search was futile. "Could I use your phone, please? So I can see what I am doing," I reluctantly asked.

He sighed lightly but shifted, pulling his phone from his pocket and holding it out to me. I took the phone from his hand and sat on a table nearby, setting up the device so I was able to see my profile. Small cuts were scattered across my face, the only bigger cut was on my forehead which I had gotten when Mister Arlington had drove through the two black cars.

"Did that girl question your appearance?"

I hesitated to speak as I disenfected a cloth, only because I was mildly surprised that Mister Arlington was initiating conversation.

"No, I-it was getting dark and she was in a r-rush."

There was a pause in the conversation before Mister Arlington spoke again. "I noticed she was also from Gordon's auction."

As he spoke I attempted to clean the larger scratch, wincing slightly as I dabbed the cloth on the wound. "Yes, s-she was there."

"I didn't know that you kept in contact with anyone from there."

"Well you shouldn't need to," I hissed, taking my frustration from today's events out on him. "Sorry," I apologised after I realised the tone I had used.

He didn't accept my apology, rather just brushing my mistake and apology aside all together. Silence began to set in, but I wasn't ready just yet for silence.

"Is this how it always is?"

"How what is?" he responded after a short period of time.

"Your life."

"No, not always."

I hummed, though doubting his answer.

"As for your fear of water, have you always been like that?"

I froze, ceasing from attending to my arms. "Y-yes. I suppose I h..have always been l-like that."

"You've always been scared from the water enough that you would rather die without attempting to save yourself."

I frowned. "I also c..c-cant swim."

"I saw," he responded dryly.

With a huff I stood. "Here, I'm done."

He didn't answer.

"Well aren't you g-going to patch yourself up?"

"I...cant," he sighed, almost as if he were embarrassed.

"What? Why?"

"I can't stand up again."

It was only now that I realised just how drained he sounded. I turned on the flash to his phone, crouching beside his head. He flinched when I held out a hand causing me to flinch back as well.

I breathed in a shaky breath, compossing myself when I realised he wasn't going to harm me. "I'm just ch-checking your wound," I informed, reaching out again. I gently pushed his hair to the side which covered a big gash. I sucked in a breath at the sight of it, my stomach churning.

How had he continued to walk, even drive or talk? I would've expected anyone to pass out and stay that way with a wound like this.

I pulled back, no longer able to look at the gash. "You'll need stitches," I informed. "But I c..can't do them in this light, we'll have to w..wait for tomorrow when I have the right su..pplies at the house. For now though, I can clean it up." And try not to retch while I'm at it.

"Well what are you waiting for?" he questioned, though it didn't have much power behind it.

"We don't have a-any alcohol for you to numb the pain so I suggest you h..hold onto something, if it makes you feel better talk about some...thing you don't like. Also, I-im going to need you to hold this," I explained, giving him the phone to hold the flash.

The process of cleaning his wound felt long and arduous, spent with him hissing and cursing some of the time while I tried not to empty my guts on his face and keep my hand steady. In the end I finished up rather nicely when Mister Arlington passed out, shortly after I did too, on the couch he had left for me to have.

________________

Sorry for those who have been waiting for an update, I've explained the reason why I have missed last weeks update and why my pattern of updating will now be irregular on my conversations board. I know some of you may be frustrated with me so please have a look.

Thank you.