12

A nightmare, well rather a flashback of my mother woke me at dawn. Unable to find sleep again I left my room, walking to the lounge room where I sat down and turned the TV on. Oddly enough, Mary wasn't awake yet. I chose not to bother her, letting her have a sleep in considering the load of work she had been doing for her age.

The TV automatically displayed the news, which spoke about the unusual amounts of gang affiliated activities around England. I paid half hearted attention to the news, even more so when I heard the front door open and close.

I watched the entrance of the lounge room as Mister Arlington appeared. He looked noticbly worn which made me wonder from what exactly.

He glanced at me for a moment before looking at the TV. "Quite a messy scene, don't you think."

I frowned, turning to the TV, this time paying attention to what the reporter had to say.

"Yesterday afternoon police found Damon Pratt dead with several other bodies who are yet to be identified." At the name of my father being mentioned, my eyes widened considerably. "Damon Pratt was a serious drug lord that the police have been trying to find for years–" the female reporter was suddenly cut off as I turned the TV off, hiding my shaking hands in the folds of my dress.

"I suppose you don't like hearing about death."

I stood, walking to the kitchen so I was able to avoid his question. To my luck, Mary walked into the kitchen, apologising for the late wake up.

Mister Arlington did pursue any questions from me. Instead, he greeted Mary with a good morning before heading upstairs.

"Today we don't have to worry about making breakfast," Mary informed, to which I gave her a questioning look. "I'll be taking you into town so we can buy you some new clothes and some much needed shoes," she explained with a smile.

I nodded in reply, half listening to her while my mind continued to reel on about the news Mister Arlington and I had just witnessed. What if Mister Arlington found out that I had a part in that 'messy scene' that I had killed my father and committed horrible, monstrous, acts.

"So we'll have the whole day to ourselves, it can be our girls day out."

I gave her a forced small smile, unable to be excited about the fact that I was finally going to go shopping for the first time in my life.

What if the police knew of my existence and disclosed that the child of Damon Pratt was missing. Although I had self proclaimed that my last name was Whiting, taking on my mothers maiden name, it wouldn't take much with the right sources to find out that I was Damon Pratts only daughter.

"Come now, we should leave." I nodded, following Mary out the door, slipping on some shoes of hers that she offered me.

~~~

I had always wondered what it would be like to witness so many people in one place, all for different or similar reasons as one another. And with the anxious pit growing in the bottom of my stomach I wasn't liking the feeling.

Mary smiled at me as I strained my neck to see all of the different shops. "Has it been a while since you've been shopping?"

I looked at her, sitting back in my seat and composed myself as I nodded. Although it was my first time out like this I couldn't exactly tell her.

"Shall we go to a place that's more quiet then?"

I nodded, giving her an apologetic look for a moment. Mary smiled at me per usual, turning a few corners before she came to a stop by a large garden nursery, I looked up in awe at all the amazing plants I was able to see through the big glass windows.

"Come now, there's a cute shop just across the road. Hopefully, you'll like the things there." Mary said exiting the car.

I followed hastily, not letting a step separate us. Indeed the was a cute shop with wood interior and many mirrors, inside a variety of clothes and shoes were all placed about neatly.

Mary insisted I prepare for winter as well as the summer heat. She helped me along the way, choosing outfits for work as well as casual clothes, pyjamas and shoes.

I had done my entire shopping from one shop. In a way I was disappointed but I didn't mind much, either.

"Come now I want to show you this cafe on the corner, it'll be my treat."

I followed Mary aimlessly to the cafe, where we ordered a coffee for Mary, a slice of lasagna for us to share and a strawberry milkshake for me. I found myself forgetting all about what had happened this morning and the paranoia that came with worrying about it.

I was almost finished with my food when I heard my name from the end of our table. I turned to find the girl who had talked to me at the auction, many days ago.

My eyes widened in recognition.

She turned and smiled at Mary, introducing herself before looking back at me.

"What a surprise to see you here what are you doing?"

Mary and I had already put our shopping in the car so I didn't gave anything as a reference, I grabbed a napkin and a pen Mary held out to me before writing my answer and sliding it across the table.

"She can't talk," Mary explained when Violeta looked confused, at this her eyes widened and she read what was on the napkin.

She smiled, "I see. Well, Mister Albert, the man who bought me, owns the nursery just across the road, would you both like a tour of the place?"

Mary looked at me as I looked at her for permission, to which she smiled and nodded subtly. I looked at Violeta and nodded at her.

"You've changed," she said to me as we walked across the road.

I pulled my eyes away from our destination and looked at her.

"You don't look so dead anymore, you've got more colour to your face and even use more facial expressions," she turned to me with a smile on her face while I was left shocked. "Let's be friends Angelica."