10

Although Mary and I prepared dinner as usual Mister Arlington didn't attend, instead he tended to Benjamins grave, under the tree in the meadow.

Dinner between Mary and I consisted of her long sighs and tense silence, I excused myself midway, making my way outside where everything was submerged in darkness.

Looking out towards the meadow I could see a lone light shining underneath the dead tree. With a huff I strode through the field until I stood inside the ring of light, where Mister Arlington sat at the head of Benjamins grave, with his head hung, knees to his chest, ankles crossed and hands lazily clasped in front of his legs.

I silently walked over, sitting down beside him with my legs tucked underneath me.

"What are you doing here, Angelica?"

I looked at him after he had used my name, realising he had his eyes closed.

When I didn't respond — which was largely because of my condition — he opened his eyes and turned to me as I looked away, focusing my gaze on the house.

A warm breeze brushed past, tussling the grass and my unbound hair. I didn't look back at him, even as he sighed and hung his head again.

The two of us sat there in silence, even as my eyes started to flutter shut and my body unintentionally swayed.

~~~

I was moving, but my legs weren't carrying me. I was at an odd angle, as if I were sitting but in a more leisurable way. My eyelids were too heavy for me to open and all I was able to hear was the swishing of grass. I was too exhausted to see where I was or how I was moving, in the state that I was I didn't really care.

With a soft sigh I let myself fall back into unconsciousness.

~~~

Regardless of my late night I still rose before dawn, surprised to see myself in my bed. Mary offered me a smile and a chirpy good morning when I met her in the kitchen.

"You stayed out late last night," she spoke as I cracked an egg into the simmering water. Although she had stated it, her words held question in them.

I only nodded, mentally questioning why Mary was asking about last nights events. My thoughts were disrupted by Mary, who changed the subject, rambling on about the swallows who had made a nest in the stable.

It was quite easy to tell Benjamins death had also affected Mary, even though she smiled and spoke as if her words were going to suddenly stop making a sound. Her eyes were recovering from a puffiness that could only be gained from crying a considerable amount, her smile was too tight and her hands lightly shook as she cut the parsley.

I played along with her act, for her sake.

I had expected for the day to go by slowly with little to no chatter, seeing as Mister Arlington had yet to leave his room and mary avoided communication with me, occupying herself in the garden. But my expectations were proved wrong when a familiar black car drove down the driveway, around mid-day.

I had been sitting on the stone fence that wound around the house but stood to attention when the car stopped and Gordon stepped out from the car.

"Angelica," he greeted with a smile on his face.

I curtsied in response, causing Gordon to chuckle.

"Gordon!" Mary said in surprise, dusting the dirt from her hands.

"Hello Mary, how are you?" he asked, approaching me.

"I'm good, shall I put on some tea?"

"No, no. I'm only here to give Angelica her profit."

"Alrigh–"

"Gordon, come inside, i'd like to chat a little, " Mister Arlington's voice came from the entrance of the house, surprising both Mary and I.

Gordon nodded with a smile.

I turned to analyze Mister Arlingtons appearance, finding that he didn't look as bad as yesterday. In fact, he was cleaned up nicely, wearing a suit.

I followed Gordon through the gate and into the house, letting Mister Arlington lead Gordon to the lounge room while I attended to my dirty feet in the bathroom.

"I wanted to know how did you come across that maid girl? You haven't participated in finding the girls in year's, so why her?"

I paused, listening into their conversation. Usually, I wouldn't eavesdrop but if it was involving me, I had a right to know.

Gordon hesitated.

"I found her on the day of the auction, she sat on top of a bridge and I happened to be driving past."

"She was going to kill herself?" Mister Arlington asked in a hushed voice.

"She almost succeeded too, slipped off when I approached her, I had just caught her wrist in time... Why this now? Has something happened?"

"No, I was just wondering. Although, had you known that she isn't able to talk."

"She's mute!"

Mister Arlington hummed.

"I wasn't aware of that, I just thought she was unusually quiet."

"There is something different about her... Have you done a background check?"

I stood abruptly, in the process my foot slipped causing me to drop back, falling out of the tub and onto the floor with a loud thump.

I let out a soft groan, looking up at the entrance to see Mister Arlington and his company appear with curious looks on their face.

Gordon chuckled, stepping forward to help me up.

"You alright, Angelica?"

I stepped back from Gordons touch, turning my gaze to Mister Arlington who stared at me nonchalantly.

Mary appeared beside him, peering into the crowded bathroom.

"Everything alright?"

I nodded, subtly rubbing my back.

"Well, I had only planned to make a quick stop, I've got some errands to run so I'll be off now." He pulled an envelop from the inside pocket of his suit handing it to me, "here's your money. Take care now, Angelica."

I bowed my head, showing him my gratitude.

"I'll see you around Mister Arlignton... Mary," he said, bowing his head as he walked past the two.

Mister Arlignton nodded at Gordon, turning his gaze back to me, giving me one last long stare before he turned and strode back to his room.