17

I had slept in due to last night's events, though no one had noticed seeing as both Mary and Mister Arlington also woke up late.

I had made breakfast before any of them awoke, and only when the scent of brewed coffee and bacon wafted into their rooms did they drag themselves to the dining room.

"Sorry, Angelica," Mary apologised as she squinted at the food I had prepared. I eyed the white robe that was wrapped around her as I waves off her apology, after all, I had never seen her in anything else but her maid uniform.

Mister Arlington was the last to enter. His heavy footsteps could be heard on the staircase, warning us of his presence before he even walked into the dining room.

He adorned his usual attire which consisted of his expensive dress suit and cane. His hair was wet and slicked back, some stray strands falling over his forehead.

He looked as if nothing had happened last night. As if he hasn't just been shot — save for him leaning most of his weight onto the cane.

Though it was obvious he was in a foul mood this morning, seeing as how he dropped into his chair at the head of the table. It didn't take long for me to notice the glare he was giving Mary as I picked at my egg, discreetly looking from Mister Arlington to Mary who peacefully ate her breakfast, purposly ignoring Mister Arlington.

Mary let out a sharp exhale when she was done, looking at me as she placed her utensils on her empty plate. "That was a lovely meal, thank you, Angelica." To which I nodded as she faced, Mister Arlington. "You look like you have something to say, you haven't touched your breakfast once."

"Well, I'm glad you noticed," he chipped, continuing before Mary could retort. "I came home last night to find the door locked."

Mary shrugged.

"I was shot– you know how important it is to keep the door unlocked. I could've bled out!"

"And Angelica could have drowned!" Mary fired back.

I frowned, wondering what I had to do with any of this, aside from helping Mister Arlington from dying last night.

"And I have discussed those matters with you," he argued. "Anyhow, due to your actions Angelica gave aid to me, I suppose I'll leave you to explain to your apprentice what sort of a place you've dragged her into."

"Tobias," she snapped, before turning to me. "I promise I will, Angelica. But for now, you're still settling in, and I suppose last night must have been a shock to you."

Mister Arlington turned to face me for the first time since he entered the room. Though his eyes lingered more on the red scarf I wore around my neck than my face. As if suddenly realising he had zoned out for a few moments his eyes snapped to mine, his gaze as cold as usual.

"And don't think I forgot how you broke the rules last night."

My eyes widened in question.

"I hadn't allowed you to follow me upstairs."

I let out a scoff, horrified at the complete unfairness. Suddenly, I found myself wishing to speak, wanting to argue, to tell him I had gone up those stairs to help him. And as much as I wanted to do all of that and storm outside into the open fields, I couldn't. I was a woman not a coddled girl who threw tantrums — no matter how unfair the situation. So, instead, I stayed seated and visibly calmed myself, accepting whatever punishment I was to receive with a nod.

Rules were rules and he was right, I had broken them.

"Good," he said, standing. "Dont wait around for me, tonight." His words were followed by his abrupt departure and Mary's long sigh, moments after.

I was left awake that night while Mary slept peacefully — this time without using her pills. I couldn't sleep after all that had happened. Especially, because of Mister Arlingtion's comment to Mary, kept nagging at me.

"I suppose I'll leave you to explain to your apprentice what sort of a place you've dragged her into."

I groaned, rolling onto my side.

~~~

I was serving breakfast when Mister Arlington walked into the dining room. As usual, dressed in a suit and holding his cane.

I had only just woke up when he returned, completly ignoring me as I walked out of my room. Which was why I was surprised when he blandly announced I would be personally attending his needs today.

I turned to Mary seeing her equally surprised as me, though she didn't question him and instead nodded.

I on the other hand stood beside him, tea pot still in hand as I stared at him. His head swiveled to look up at me.

"Something the matter?"

My grip on the tea pot handle tightened when I caught the hint of sarcasm in his tone.

"Nnn.. N.. No."

Although I had trouble with letting the word from my mouth, the look on both Mister Arlington's and Mary's gave me a sense of satisfaction.

Mister Arlington schooled his shock and looked back down at his plate, focusing his attention on cutting his toast. "I suppose it is about time you start learning how to talk, it's quite problematic if you can't converse with Mary. After all, that was the reason she wanted an apprentice in the first place–" he stopped, looking up at Mary. "–she was lonely."

Mary forced a chuckle.

"Nonsense Tobias, don't say such things, it sounds depressing."

"Nowaday's everything is depressing, Mary."

I made my way to my seat after watching him place his avocado toast in his mouth, returning his attention to his food. Like most days, breakfast was quiet after exchanging those last few words.

Afterwards, Mister Arlington urged me to change into something more "suitable to be standing next to him" as he had explained to me. Reluctantly, I returned to my room to change into black wide-leg pants, a nude satin top and a pair of nude heels that Mary suggested for me to wear. And though the red scarf looked odd with the outfit I wore it regardless.

Mister Arlington didn't spare me a glance, instead, throwing an umbrella at me. I didn't bother to complain about the item as I caught it, even though the weather showed no sign of rain. And so I followed him out the door, struggling to keep up with his long strides in the heels I wore.