13. Fall in Love

a/n: HERE IT IS Y'ALL 😩 also disclaimer: NO MIKASA SLANDER ALLOWED ‼️ I love her sm and she will never ever be a bad guy in a story I write. She is supportive!!!!

After his confession in the rain, Kruger did not speak to you again. You respected his wishes and did not force him to talk, for he clearly had a lot on his mind. Whatever he was thinking about, you only hoped he would tell you one day, before he left you for good.

You should have been prepared for his eventual departure. After all, he was only in the hospital to hide from his family, but he would have to go back. It was where he belonged. You had been silly to think he would stay with you forever, but a part of you had hoped that he would.

Though you were sad he was leaving, you were happy for him. He would finally get to see his family and friends again. He would finally get to see Tullia again.

You were not jealous of Kruger's first love. Whether or not he had loved her in the past, it remained that he loved you now, and you were content with that. You were not one to judge, and how should you expect him to have never had feelings for anyone else before he had even met you? It was unrealistic, and besides, you had loved people before you loved him. Love was not a finite resource – just because he had loved someone in his past deeply did not mean he loved you any less.

Just like your lifespan was sure to be, your time with Kruger had been short but meaningful, and in his absence, you would hold the memories you had made close to your heart. There was no sense in wishing for more time – you were only thankful to have been able to be with him for as long as you had.

That night, he did not complain when you snuck into his bed to lay beside him, merely wrapping his arms around you and stroking your hair until you fell asleep.

You awoke early for the festival. Kruger was still unconscious when you wriggled out of the sheets and began to get ready for the day, affording his slumbering form one final glance before you left in search of Reiner and the younger Warrior candidates.

"Goodbye. I...love you, too. I'm sorry I didn't tell you yesterday. I hope you know, anyways," you murmured, allowing yourself this moment of weakness, when he was not able to hear you, before closing the door behind you.

It seemed that Kruger had helped you accomplish all thirteen items of your list, then, without even prompting. Now, no matter what, you could die fulfilled, although you almost wished that you hadn't put falling in love as your thirteenth item – because love gave you a reason to live.

Still, if you could spend all of your short, miserable life loving others, then you supposed it would not be entirely a waste.

Stopping at the Grices' house, you knocked on the door. Mr. Grice answered it, his hair still sticking up in odd spots. It was clear he had not been awake for very long.

"Hi, Mr. Grice. Are Falco and Colt home?" you said.

"I am! Colt went with his guy friends though," Falco said. You had thought that that would happen. You didn't mind. Maybe they could help him feel better, since he refused to let you do anything to help him.

"Are you ready to go? Reiner and the others are probably waiting," you said, ruffling his hair. He had grown a little recently, coming up to about your shoulder now. You had no doubt that he would soon shoot up like a weed and tower over you the way his brother did, so you made sure to take advantage of his current shorter status while you could.

"Yup! Will you carry the money my mom gave me?" he said, handing you a small purse. You smiled at him, taking it and slinging it onto your shoulder.