Stone

Chapter Twenty-Six "Stone"

Lyric flailed and got out of Kieran's arms, full wolf now. She glared at the human standing before her for a moment before realizing it was her mate—her equal—just in his weaker form. She sniffed at his naked body and sneezed. Wolfsbane was still on him somewhere. He seemed to understand and moved to turn the shower on, climbing in and scrubbing once more. Lyric wandered to the bedroom, sniffing at the floor around the book that was now lying open on the floor beside the bed. She snuffled the pages, but didn't find what she was looking for, and turned her focus to the card. Another sneeze as more wolfsbane pollen filled her nose, but then there it was: the scent of the writer. Stone's scent. She growled and tore the card to shreds with her teeth.

Kieran emerged from the bathroom and gave her a look. One that screamed worry. Why was he so worried? She wasn't going to attack him unless he got in her way. She was going to kill Stone for doing this to her. She wandered to the door and looked up at it. Locked. She'd forgotten that. And how would she open it with paws. She growled and started pacing.

"Lyric," her mate whispered, kneeling beside her. "I need you to fight her and come back to me." She huffed in his face.

Please, a soft voice whispered, startling her. Normally when she was out, Lyric was locked away somewhere deep and was never conscious. She growled and shook her head to clear it. It was her turn to run free. Besides, she had plans.

"Lyric, come back to me," Kieran said again. This time he was a little firmer. She growled in his face and snorted. "Lyric," he growled this time, "fight and come back."

I'm trying! The voice in her head screamed and she felt something taking over. With a growl and lunged at Kieran, wanting to put him in his place for trying to cage her again, but saw weak human limbs when she collided with him.

"Kieran!" Lyric panted. "Oh my god, what was THAT?"

"Wolfsbane," he grunted as she landed on him full force.

Lyric scrambled off of him, searching the room for clothes, and finally found a shirt to pull on that would cover her. She couldn't believe that she was conscious after the change. Or that she had been able to speak to her wolf when she was in that form.

"It was Stone," she said, still slightly out of breath. "I could smell him all over the card."

Kill him for what he did to us, her wolf growled from deep within her. He is a trickster and can't be trusted.

"You stay here," Kieran instructed, going to the door.

00000000000000000

He pulled on the first pair of clean clothes he could find. Kieran unlocked the door and ripped it open, startling Jett who was standing there poised to knock. He pushed past the confused Beta and stormed towards the elevator. Jett ran after him.

"Hey, what's going on?" he asked, catching up.

"Stone somehow slipped wolfsbane into a note and Lyric turned," he growled. He pressed the elevator button over and over. He knew pushing it more than once did nothing but he needed to take his aggression out on something.

"Stone? How do you know?"

"Lyric changed. When she changed back she said the scent on the card that held the flower was Stone's," he said. Finally the doors opened and he went inside. "I'm going to beat him to death."