Start of Celebration

Chapter Three "Start of Celebration"

Lyric barely heard the roar of applause and cheers of her Pack. She was still reeling from that kiss. Yes, she'd been telling the truth when she said that she'd been kissed once in the past, but it had been nothing like what Kieran had just done. She and Bryan had been going into their teenage years and had heard older Pack members discussing the newfound joys of 'making out' and had decided give it a shot. When Bryan had tried to stick his tongue in her mouth, she shoved him away and told him that it felt gross. After that, they'd never tried it again.

She felt the heat rush to her face and other parts of her body when they finally parted lips. She could smell the arousal coming from her new mate and even smelled it coming from her. Kieran's impossibly bright green eyes looked down at her and he grinned. She offered him a smile in return and smoothed her hands over her dress nervously. Her mate let out a deep, content sounding sigh before cupping her face and pressing a soft kiss to her forehead. The contact was so sweet and unexpected that all she could do was blink up dumbly at him.

"What now?" he whispered.

"We celebrate," she exhaled.

Her mind was still in a haze from the kiss. So much so that the next few moments were just a blurry mess. Long wooden tables were brought out from the tree line, as well as chairs, and the tables were lined with succulent food. An ornately decorated table stood front and center and she knew that it was just for them. Flower chains hung lazily over the front of the table and it was set with the absolute best cutlery and plates the Pack owned. Before she could fill Kieran in on the next few steps, Thomas—her Alpha—ushered them to the table. A hush fell over the Pack as the newly mated pair stood behind the table. Kieran shot her a confused look and she just gave him her best comforting smile.

"The first drink as a mated couple," Thomas said, presenting a bottle of the blueberry wine that her Pack was famous for. "After this, we will begin the congratulations. Followed by food, music, and dancing." He handed Lyric a small can of Sprite so she could dilute her own glass of wine—which was custom for the females of the Pack.

She poured a tiny amount of the wine into her glass, added the Sprite, and then poured Kieran half a glass. She handed him his glass and rose her own. They briefly clinked them together before each took a drink. Kieran barely managed to stifle a cough after his sip and he shot her an astonished look.

"That's strong," he gasped quietly. "Holy shit, how do you manage to drink this?"

"You aren't used to it is all," she replied, putting her glass down. Alcohol made it that much harder for her to stay in control. "Only drink enough to be polite. I would hate to have to pick you up off of the ground."

"Can't I put Sprite in?"

"No!" she said. "Drinking it plain is a source of pride for Pack males."

"Christ," he pouted. She could see him working up the nerve to take another drink. This time he barely even coughed after his sip. "Ok, I'm never gonna get used to that."

"You'd be surprised," she smiled.

Once he placed his own glass on the table, Thomas hurriedly ushered him over to where the line of male Pack members were lining up. A tall brunette male approached her mate and clapped him hard on the back. He wasn't from her Pack and the way he held himself made her think that maybe he was the Archer Pack's Beta-son. Kieran and the brunette exchanged a hug and some laughter before the stranger stood beside the Alpha-son, his hands clasped behind his back.