Part 1

As I look over at the clock on the wall I can't help but let out a loud sigh knowing that it's time to go. I glance over at my Beta Jake and pout pleadingly at him, "You have to protect me tonight!"

He lets out a loud laugh and shakes his head, "I'm here to party, you'll have to face down the hoards of admirers on your own, same as previous years."

I glare at him, "If you're not careful I'll choose Rain as my Luna just to spite you."

That stops his laughing immediately but after a moment of scrutiny he slowly smiles again, "Nah, you wouldn't do that to the pack."

I let out another long sigh because he's right. As much as I am desperate for a partner to come home to and a Luna for my pack I know that I would rather be alone than be subjected to life with Rain Lauder. She's not just shallow and self-centred, she is a down right mean bitch. To everyone. To her everyone is her slave to command and bully as she sees fit, and she seems to enjoy upsetting other people simply for fun. While she latches herself on to me every chance she gets, purring in my ear in the most nauseating way, I've witnessed her screaming blue murder in people's faces and literally stamping her foot like a child to get her way. I even had to step in once when she struck an omega for no apparent reason. She's never done that in front of me again after seeing my strong disapproval but I know it still happens when I'm not there.

Her father Alpha Ray is in charge of the second biggest pack in America after my own. Although not as bad as his daughter I still don't much like the guy, however our uneasy alliance has held strong for over ten years now so I make nice whenever we have to meet at these sort of things. He too keeps pushing for me to take Rain as my Luna.

The pair of them are one of the main reasons I hate these gatherings but there are plenty of others pushing themselves forward and holding them off for the next week is going to be exhausting. Unfortunately attendance isn't optional. The rest of the week will be full of meetings, both formal and informal, to make agreements, solve disputes and discuss any issues affecting werewolves across the globe. But tonight will be the worst. It's the opening night ball and business is strictly prohibited. It's all about socialising and building friendships, which to the single she wolves (and their pushy parents) means targeting me relentlessly in the hopes this will be the year I give in.

Truthfully I am starting to wonder whether I should give up and accept one of the shewolves offering themselves. I'm 32 and honestly I'm lonely. The long held hope of finding my mate is beginning to fade. I've waited and waited. I've attended every wolf social event that I can in the hopes that she will be there and still nothing. I wasn't too concerned at the beginning. Whilst most wolves find their mates when they turn 18, not all do. It was clear that my mate wasn't a member of my own pack so I went to the American mate's social, hoping to find her there. Then I went to the Worlds but still nothing. Perhaps my mate was younger than me and she wasn't attending yet I reasoned. So I attended again the following year, and then the year after that. Every year I still attend, although at this point it's beginning to get a little embarrassing, and I'm starting to have to accept that maybe I don't have a true mate at all. My wolf Firenz lets out a whimper at this line of thinking. He still holds out hope even if mine is beginning to fade. So pushing these thoughts aside I stand and move over to the mirror to check my appearance. Smoothing out the crisp white shirt and buttoning the jacket of my black suit, I smooth my short dark brown hair one last time before turning to Jake, "Let's get this over with."