Part 19

(Emily's POV)

I can't believe I've already been here for nearly a month. As I make my way down to the primary school where I have been volunteering three mornings a week I wave and greet everyone that I pass. Smiles, bows and further greetings answer me back. I am pleased to be able to put a name to every face that I meet. I felt so overwhelmed those first few days but this community has accepted me with open arms. They seemed to intuitively welcome me warmly whilst giving me time and space to adjust. Alex too has been incredible, slowly teaching me the responsibilities of being a Luna without overwhelming me. Glued to his side at first I've slowly learnt to spread my wings solo, although truthfully Jess helped a lot with that. Her endless support, encouragement and advice invaluable. It was her who first introduced me to Sara and suggested I spend some mornings helping her at the pack school.

Striding down the open lawn, this place feels so much like home now. I smile even more broadly at the sight of Jess, Beth, Sara and Lewis chatting on the steps of the main school entrance.

"Hey girl" Jess greets me with a hug.

"You volunteering today?" I ask. Although Jess has visited me a few times here she doesn't usually stay.

"Nah, I've got training, just came to ask if you and Alex wanna come over to mine and Jake's for a bbq tonight. These lot have already agreed" she gestures at the gang around us.

"Sounds good" I beam.

"Need us to bring anything?" Lewis asks. He's a tall blonde who teaches the older kids in the last two years before they go off to the middle school which is in the main town. It took me a while to get my head around the different grades here. Kids don't start school until they're 5 and the first year is kindergarten so none of the numbers correlate to the years back in England but I'm used to it now.

Beth covers the middle aged kids, grades 2 and 3, while I work with Sara and the younger children in first grade and kindergarten.

As Jess shakes her head insisting she's got everything covered the first of the young wolf cubs start to arrive and Principal Manton exits her office. Although she's never shown me anything but respect she always seems to be in strict headteacher mode, so with a quick goodbye we quickly disperse to our own classrooms ready to welcome the children.

My mornings supporting Sara are easily my favourite times, other than when I'm with Alex. Even in the few short weeks I've been here the progress some of the kids have made is incredible and helping to teach these children how to read and write fills me with such joy. It makes me think of the future and what mine and Alex's kids will be like. Shaking my head to clear those far too premature thoughts I beam as adorable Kelsey races over to greet me and my hectic morning begins.

With a sigh I collapse into the chair beside Jess and accept the drink Alex holds out for me.

"I'm stuffed" I moan, having just eaten two hotdogs, a burger, and a mountain of fries, which causes the werewolves around me to laugh with all of them having eaten at least double what I ate.

The atmosphere is relaxed as everyone lounges around contentedly, chatting about our days and sharing jokes. Alex's hand rests on my thigh, drawing swirly circles as he discusses something with Lewis and I can't help but smile as I look around our happy little group.

Jake lights the fire pit and brings out several bags of marshmallows to roast and even though moments ago I declared myself stuffed I still join in with the fun, eating the gooey mess and making smores.

It's nearly 11 when Sara, Lewis, Beth and her mate Aaron rise to leave, all of them having work early in the morning. Jake and Alex start to clear up soon after leaving me and Jess lounging on the grass looking up at the stars.