Star Players And The Artist

Journal Entry No. 37

I have taken the habit of walking home with Kurapika these past few days. We don't really talk a lot. Sometimes, he just quietly listens to the music on his phone.

The silence between us isn't uncomfortable either. I'm glad he doesn't mind walking home with me that much. Though I don't know if I should be sad or happy that he doesn't even care.

Whenever he's done with practice, I always run towards him when he exits the field and be by his side when we reach the school gate. He looks at me and nods like he's acknowledging my presence. Well, isn't this a great start to something new, right?

We always start somewhere, and that lead me to talking with his friends at the basketball court. It was a free period. The teachers were having a 4-hour meeting. I don't know what they were meeting about, but it gave a lot of students some time to slack off.

I was on my way back to my classroom from the cafeteria. It's free period, so I had to get my favorite chips and sodas to snack on while waiting for school to end, y'know? But then, I heard people were going to watch our school's basketball team's practice game for today.

I figured I won't have much to do in the classroom anyway. Just chit-chatting with my classmates wouldn't do well in the long run. I'd get bored eventually. 

I decided to go to the gym. I wanted to see them play, too. I was also kinda hoping I'd bump into Kurapika. Maybe then, I would've been able to ask him to watch the practice game with me.

However, I never saw him on my way to the gym. Well, it was fine.

I arrived at the gym and the first quarter of the game was already starting. The team was divided into two groups of five players. I spotted Gon and Killua from the benches.

Kurapika's friends! I heard Gon is a part of the baseball team. I don't really know what his position was, but I have heard he's one of the star players.

I've also heard Killua's from the swim team. Looking at him now, he does look like he is a part of the swim team. Like he has the build for it. He's also pretty famous around the school.

Oh, wow. Birds with the same feather flock together, huh? Kurapika sure has achiever friends, too. 

Now, on the court is I think Kurapika's closest friend, Leorio. He's a star player, too. Obviously, he's a basketball player.

What a tall guy... If you just compare Gon, Killua, and Kurapika to him, they'd all look like midgets beside him. Well, I'd even look smaller if I were to stand beside him.

I heard he's a pretty smart guy, too. He's in the same class as Kurapika and is the class vice-president. He's not as uptight as Kurapika, though.

I don't really know what happened, but I just found myself talking to his friends after the game. Well... I did come to the players' bench after the game and congratulated Leorio. His friends teased us thinking I was his admirer or he was in love with me, or vice versa.

He was good at pushing them away and denying the teases. Then, of course, he smiled at me and was like: "You're Y/n, right?"

I was super shocked, I was like: "H-how did you know?"

And he was like: "You were once displayed in the school banner for the students who participated in the inter-school art competition, right? And also, Kurapika mentioned you to me once."

I was shocked. I didn't think the school, the students to be exact, cared so much about art. But he did notice, I felt flattered. I didn't win the contest. I did mention it in journal entry #5. I only won fourth place for some category that I'm not in the mood of describing.

And also, Kurapika mentioned me?

MENTIONED. ME.

Anyway, I think he didn't notice I was blushing

Anyway, I think he didn't notice I was blushing. Then, when I was about to reply, Gon and Killua came over to him and asked who I was. It went like this:

Killua: "So who's this?"

Leorio: "She's Y/n. She's the same year as us. You know, Kurapika's neighbor."

Gon: "Oh yes! That's you. I've always seen you walk home with him. Nice to meet you. I'm Gon!"

Y/n: "Hi Gon, nice to meet you too!"

Killua: "I'm Killua. So what were you both talking about?"

Y/n: "Hi, Killua. Uhm..."

Leorio: "Nothing she was just congratulating me."

Killua: "Huh... Do you like him or something?"

And that... that's where things went wrong... Or right? I blushed a little too hard out of... Unnecessary annoyance. I mean, Leorio is not ugly. He's pretty good-looking.

But I don't like being mistaken for liking someone else and get teased like that's so annoying. And out of sheer distress, I impulsively told them I liked Kurapika and they stood there astonished. I was... I was astonished as well.

I was like I wanted to get buried 15 feet deep. I looked up to see them looking worried. And I asked why they looked constipated.

Killua told me Kurapika hasn't been interested in any girl for years. Or anyone for that matter. Well, it's not like I have never known. 

Leorio told me that if I was trying to get him to like me, it might drain me of a lot of energy because he's a bit of a hard shell to crack. Not that dirty balls reference again!

Then, Gon... I don't know, but I think he's just naturally so positive, told me that Kurapika isn't exactly a heartless person and that if I exerted a bit more effort and with a little more push, Kurapika might start to like me, too.

I smiled at him. What a thoughtful guy. I like him!

Leorio agreed. Killua was just quiet. We, then, talked about sports and stuff.

They talked about their achievements. Then, Gon and Killua started to tease Leorio. The next thing I know they were all on the verge of playing violent dodgeball with the ball used for basketball.

I had to stop them somehow. Lol.

Anyway, they asked me what I liked about Kurapika. I had to let them sign an imaginary NDA. Kurapika should never hear anything about what I said.

I don't know if they'd keep the promise, though. But I felt comfortable with the guys. They didn't look at me weird or anything. That's probably why I was kinda lenient about my secrets (Kurapika love chuchu~).

Then, Leorio told me that his class' third period is a free period for them. He told me that Kurapika usually visits the library during that time, and that maybe I should try talking to him at the library.

Of course, Killua said it might be a bad idea because talking or making any noise is strictly prohibited. Gon butted in saying we won't be yelling at the library and Kurapika has more sense than anyone.

He was right. It's not like I was gonna be squealing endlessly.

Well, I didn't even realize we talked too much. I guess, it was that fun being with them. No wonder why Kurapika was good friends with them. They surely know how to hold a conversation.

Too late, though. He already went home before me. Kinda sad he didn't even wait for me. Oh, well.

I wrote a lot today.