Chapter 3

A/N: Quick reminder/warning if you're not at the suggested chapter/episode there is a major spoiler in this chapter :>

<+>

You had been on Law's submarine for a while, and when he had saved the Straw Hat Pirates' captain Monkey D. Luffy, you debated on leaving. You finally decided after some time when he recovered and Silvers Rayleigh had arrived.

Having heard about the dangerous beasts and 48 seasons at Rusukaina from him, you wanted to push yourself and improve your skills with Haki on that island. Since the two were going to train there, you had joined in as well. You must have caught his attention with your skills even with your blindness.

You and Luffy were mentored by Rayleigh, and both of you had mastered Haki and conquered the island in two years, and formed a bond with each other.

When Rayleigh had left a few months before Luffy's two-year deadline, the pirate had asked you to join his crew.

"What? Why? You really want a blind person on your crew?" you had scoffed.

His head was cocked at you, his aura radiating excitement. "You're amazing! It was fun working with you over the past year." Somehow, his excitement toned down a bit and became something more sentimental. "And... you've helped me a lot with getting through Ace's death."

You had felt his aura's sadness, but he was not as broken as when you first met him.

"I can barely tell that you're blind now!" he had continued, returning to his cheerful self just as quickly. When he first met you, you were still a bit clumsy, and he had made fun of you for it. It wasn't harsh, but it was nice to see the change over the course of almost two years. "With you mastering Haki, I'll bet no one would ever know you're blind, especially with that mask of yours."

"It's still not easy to make my way around inanimate things or terrain," you had said. Though, it has been a while and you've figured out a different technique. "I can't read, and if I miss a door handle or something, it'll be obvious I'm either an idiot or blind."

You weren't sure if his laugh at the time comforted or concerned you.

"I don't want to be seen as weak," you had added, but your gut told you that Luffy was trustworthy, despite his childish aura.

"You won't be and you're not. C'mon, join my crew!"

"I'll think about it."

A couple of months later, the captain returned to his crew, but not without reminding you of his offer.

And now here you were, sensing that same childish but powerful aura coming from what seems like a large ship, judging by how spread out the other auras were.

There were two feminine figures at maybe the quarterdeck. A robotic aura was at the bow, and a person with a significantly long nose at the stern. A tall, skeletal aura was high up, possibly in the crow's nest. You could see the aura of a man smoking and a small, almost animalistic aura, both possibly a few rooms next to the wild aura you were heading for.

You snuck aboard, avoiding the other auras on the other side. It wasn't too difficult, despite you being blind and not being able to see a way up. You knew ships, and if your ears and intuition were right, the gangplank should be... right about where you were, away from the other auras.

The slanted platform led you higher, and the rocking of the ground under your feet confirmed that you were indeed on the ship.

You wanted to surprise Luffy. You could sense his aura in one of the rooms, gluttonous and somewhat oblivious.

You thought about using the quarterstaff to navigate the place, but the aura up on the crow's nest might see. Although he hasn't alerted anyone if he'd seen you, you'd rather not take the risk.

I might hit the wall.

You instinctively turned to avoid the walls, instead moving your hand to feel the railings of the ship casually, then to the wall, and made your way to some stairs. The target aura was higher up, so you climbed it and reached a door. It was a round turn knob, you noted. You slowly made your way to where you could sense the familiar wild aura, and smiled.

"Luffy!"

The aura stopped and looked toward you.

"Mmf!" He gulped down a chunk of what you assumed was meat. "[Y/N]!"

He leaped at you, his rubber body wrapping around you. "Good to see you again. I'm surprised you remember me, ya idiot."

"See?" he repeated you, laughing and taking no offense to your half-hearted insult. "I'd recognize that mask anywhere!"

You let him enjoy the moment, then said, "I've made my decision, Captain."

You could sense the incredible amount of enthusiasm in his aura when he heard your words and his title. He whooped, unwrapping his arms from you and throwing them in the air, legs still wrapped around you.

"You're officially a Straw Hat now!" he exclaimed.

"Yep." You waited patiently for him to let go of you. "I'm glad the offer was still open."

"Of course! I was waiting a long time."

You sensed a nearby aura come towards the place, and you looked expectantly at the doors.

"Luffy?" a man called angrily. You heard the door open, the aura clearer and closer. "I knew I heard you! We just restocked the food!" He had a cigarette in his mouth, and his aura was very much furious. He looked at you, with Luffy still wrapped around you. "And who's this?"

"Our new nakama!" Luffy unwrapped his limbs from around your body but threw an arm around your shoulder.

"I hope you didn't just meet them," the man said, but it didn't sound stern. It was like he wouldn't be surprised if Luffy did just meet you and asked you to join.

"We met a couple months ago," you explained. "He invited me then. My name is [Y/N]."

"I'm...." He seemed to take a closer look at you after hearing your voice and now that Luffy wasn't wrapped around your body. His attitude and aura's emotions changed immediately as he knelt in front of you and gently took your hand. "Pardon my rudeness! Where are my manners? Pleased to meet you, Miss [Y/N]! My name is Sanji, at your service. I'm sure you've got a beautiful face under that mask!"

Ah, Sanji. You remembered Luffy talking about him a lot, mainly the food he made. You removed your hand from his, a bit uncomfortable. His aura radiated excitement and adoration even though he had only just met you.

"Would you like something to eat or drink?" He moved to the other side of the room. "Feel free to take a look at what we have, we just restocked and I can cook up something!"

"No thanks," you quickly said, shaking your head. "I'll take a look around the ship and meet the others."

"Right! I can help you get the lay of the Sunny since you're blind." Luffy's arm reached back to grab his chunk of meat, but Sanji's leg blocked it while he looked at you, surprise in his aura.

You elbowed Luffy in the side. "I want to keep my blindness a secret, at least for now, if that's alright."

"Oh. Sorry." He laughed sheepishly, apologetically. You sighed. One other person knowing is fine, you supposed.

"You're blind?" Sanji asked. He slowly realized what he'd said earlier. His tone was apologetic. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize. You didn't look blind." He went over to you, his aura radiating sympathy. "I promise I won't tell anyone if that's what you'd like. But I can't imagine how difficult it is."

Man, this went downhill quickly. This might just be the worst person to find out first.

"I can live a normal life," you said evenly. "I don't want or need your pity." You self-consciously adjusted your mask, then grabbed Luffy's arm with a bitter smile under your mask. "Let's go."