Chapter 9

"Probably because I'm a new member," you said as casually as you could, jabbing your quarterstaff into Sanji's shin. "Don't worry about me."

"But—"

"Shshsh." You poked him again. "Don't worry about me."

"Sanji's whole schtick is worrying about women," Usopp pointed out.

You sighed, walking up the stairs with no problem. You appreciated Sanji's kindness, but it was excessive and if you could death stare Sanji you would.

You made it to the quarters and closed the door behind you. Lying on your bed, which Franky had built you from scratch somehow, you removed your mask and drank your water. All that for a glass of water, you chuckled dryly to yourself.

You felt ice cubes in there, keeping it cool and refreshing. Sanji must have put them in. As much as you disliked his overwhelmingly flirtatious nature, you had to admit he was doing it out of the kindness of his heart, even if it was only for women.

You then turned back to the door suddenly, realizing something. You were so caught up with what Sanji was doing that you didn't check Franky's and Usopp's aura to know if they noticed your blindness.

You were sure no one saw. Sanji had blocked Zoro's view and Usopp and Franky must have been too focused on the fight.

You focused on your observation, trying to sense their auras.

Zoro's was back at the crow's nest again, exercising. The booze he got earlier must have been to cool off. His aura was the same as ever, aloof and... lost. Somehow it had that feeling.

Franky and Usopp were on the floor beneath you, the men's quarters. They seemed to be discussing something while they fiddled with whatever mechanics they had in their hands. Their auras were confused and concerned about something.

The floor wasn't too thick, so you put your ear against the floorboards and eavesdropped again. Their voices were faint, but you could make out their conversation.

"-see that?" Franky's voice, curious and mildly surprised.

"The scars? Yeah, we should just pretend we didn't see." Usopp's voice, worried and fearful, probably of you.

"No, her eye."

"What about it? It was just scarred, but her eye looked fine."

"It was a glass eye. I could tell."

"You're a cyborg, of course you can." Usopp said it sarcastically, but had an impressed undertone. "What are you getting at?"

"It might be nothing, but she's definitely blind on that side."

"Makes sense why she would hide her face like that. But honestly, it doesn't look horrid."

You could tell that Usopp did not mean that honestly. And apparently Franky could tell as well.

"That wasn't just a scar from a slash wound. That was more like fire or acid."

"Man...."

They assumed you were only half blind. Better than nothing, you supposed. Or rather in this case, something.

"If the scar's only on one-fourth of her face, why not just wear an eyepatch or something?" Usopp wondered aloud. "Would make it easier to see, eat, and breathe."

"It could be three-fourth of her face for all we know."

"It could also be one-half. Did it stretch vertically or diagonally?"

"Nah, the way that scar was shaped was like a blotch on her eye."

"Then if it were on the other side it would make her blind, wouldn't it?"