Marriage, Love & Pain

"You know it's never fifty-fifty in a marriage. It's always seventy-thirty, or sixty-forty. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works very hard to keep things rolling smoothly; someone else sails along for the ride."Jodi Picoult, Mercy

I still remember the day I first met you, it was 10 months back. I was working in one of the MNC, ready to get married. I always wanted an arranged marriage, my mom was happy to hear that as she gets a chance to choose her daughter-in-law because my brother's was a love marriage. We lost our dad when I am 10 years old. From then on my mom took the responsibily of our household. Even though we had few financial problems she denied any of our wishes. She always tried hard to fulfill all our wishes. That's the reason why I love and repect her so much. I didn't want it hurt her in any means because she already suffered a lot in her life and I always wanted to keep her happy.

I got few marriage proposals and I met few girls before seeing you but any of those didn't worked out.

One day my mom told me that one of my dad's friend bought a proposal for me and we are gonna meet their family next day.

Next day I came early from office and started to your house along with my mom, brother, bhabhi and their 2 year old kid. After having introductions about each other's family , you came to living room wearing a yellow saree and sat opposite to me.I couldn't see your face as you bent your head down.

I got an important call, so I went out to attend the call. When I came back I saw my niece sitting on your lap and you both were engrossed in talking. I cleared my throat to which you looked up and our eyes locked. I was mesmerized, I don't know what happened to me.I just rooted to ground staring at you, i came out of trance when you broke the eye contact first.

My family started talking to you and I was observing you. The way you were giving answers to my mom's questions nervously and the way you behaved in those 30 minutes I don't know why but I got attracted to you. I don't believe in love at first sight but my opinion changed after meeting you.

At that time I don't know whether it is love or not but I just wanted you in my life as my wife, that was the only thought in my mind while returning home and I decided to say yes to this proposal. After coming home, my mom asked my opinion and I immediately said yes. She was happy with my decision as she too liked you.

Next few days my mom was busy discussing with your parents and you too said an yes to this proposal. Within two weeks we were engaged. During our engagement, I tried talking to you but your answers were very short either yes or no or hmm nothing more or nothing less.

At first I thought something was wrong but later I convinced myself that may be you are shy and nervous as everything happened within few days and it will take time for you to adjust.

Our parents fixed our marriage date that is after 2 months. I know that you worked in software field as well. I want us to get comfortable around each other so I decided to call you and get to know about your likes and dislikes.

But whenever I called you, you told me that either you are busy or else you just listened to whatever I am talking and cut the call in 5 minutes. I thought your behavior a little strange and I discussed the same with one of my female friend. She told me that it will take time to get accustomed to new relations and she told me to give you some time.

Days were passing, I thought you will call me atleast once if I don't call you but you never called me. One day I decided to ask you directly on phone as our families won't allow us to meet in public before marriage.

That day I called you after 10 days, after asking casual questions I asked you whether you are happy with this marriage or not. You said that you don't have any problem but you were busy with office work and wedding shopping. I told you not to take stress and working after marriage is completely your choice as neither I don't have any problem with you working nor staying at home.