Suspicions

Shorter page!

Bunker 256:

The truck's engine softly rumbles to a stop outside a large concrete wall. curiously I look around out into the new landscape we' ve traveled into.

It wasn't quite a desert or quite a forest, more like a transition space between the two.

Scraggly rocks dot in between a lot of the trees and bushes.

Old pine needles scatter thickly across the ground in a blanket of various shades of green and orange as far as the eye could see.

Its ugly, very ugly.

At least were we live the ground is flat with soft dirt. Here its lumpy and uneven, it probably makes it hard to even cultivate crops here with so many rocks in the way, making me dislike it even more.

All of us sit in the cabin silent waiting outside the bunker wall.

Ruth is asleep again, her head on Joseph's lap drooling.

Joseph on the other hand has entertained himself playing with her hair, looping short strands into little buns all over her head in a lopsided fashion.

Grinning he stops to admire his work. He Starts again by beginning to braid a new section of hair instead of making a small bun. She will probably be pissed when she wakes up to find her hair in a weird mess.

Junior just looks on amused at the would be hairdresser and the tragic creation happening, doing nothing. He divides his attention between his brother's mischief and looking up at the sky where Æxom is probably high above us watching in his aircraft.

Honestly I was too distracted and caught Joseph pretty late into the process. So when she inevitably wakes up I will have to help untangle her hair for her while listening to her pout about it.

A sharp high pitch whine from a mega phone pierces the air.

Joseph instinctively covered his ears, right away protecting himself from the sound, he looked around with a distressed look on his face..

Junior automatically pulled out Joseph's backpack from under his seat, handing Joseph his earphones in a habitual fluid toss.

Joseph smiles relieved, pulling the earphones over his ears happily. Junior returns to looking away out the window, blankly blinking.

A voice calls over in a booming bored tone. " All occupants must stay in the vehicle until otherwise instructed. By entering this bunker you are consenting to be searched and Id. IF you do not consent, TURN BACK NOW. We reserve the right to kick you and your party out if you cause trouble, are infected with a deadly or otherwise infectious disease, or are not following bunker rules. Pull your horn once and roll forward slowly if you agree to the terms."

Logan gave a devilish smile " Old man James still at it" pulling the horn. The freightliner gives a long deep honk, shaking our ear drums and bodies massively.

Twisting the key the engine roared back to life and she gently put it into first gear, rolling it forward slowly like the man wanted.

A metal gate clanked up sluggishly and we slowly roll right on through not stopping.

The bunker door appeared straight away, some several feet away, drearily drilled into the side of a rocky mountain.

As we got closer a large round metal door dipped down, opening to a large entrance.

Still continuing slowly Logan drives forward, looking left and right. Making sure she was as perfectly in the middle as possible.

A man with a neon yellow stick stood to the side, waving us to come forward some more.