pg 5

The adults huddle together speaking in low tones.

The conversation flows to my ear in small snippets. I am unable to ignore the fluttering words.

"Should we....ask?"

" what should we do?"

More mumbling of incomprehensible words flow.

My cooking pit sits smoldering, devoid of the hard earned catch.

They had returned. Their presence a surprise.

Hastily gathering the hide of the Ursus, the quartered cured meat nestled inside. I pack my meager belongings.

There is nothing more for me to do here.

Ckire bounds towards my direction, his face clear on his intent.

I pause ...

" You are leaving" his eyes locked on my pack.

" Indeed, my time here is done. There are other matters that need my attention"

Awkwardly his shoulder slump down in defeat and his hand gesticulate his unease.

" Would you?..." He swallows apprehensively before beginning again, curating his words " We are forever in your debt. Travels are harsh for a small group such as us unlike thee. Would you not open your heart and generously giveth your guidance to this humble group?"

A snarl jumped to my lips, my throat thick with impatience and aggression.

His head bowed low in submission, his expression worried.

" I do not have the luxury to abstain from important matters nor do I have the time" I growled out threatenly.

" No! Of course.... We only ask for your guidance and alliance to whichever land you find yourself traveling in" He firmly stated with confidence, looking up briefly.

I look past him, the figures of the group and their children strong in the background. Many who were sluggish before, now strutted about with more strength, the drones hard work apparent.

" You have the beginnings of a brooding pouch" he breathed, so low it was almost missed.

With that simple statement my hand flew to his throat, my attention snapping back to him.
" Wait?! I meant no disrespect. We would not dream of offering ourselves to your Queen!"

My eyes narrowed. He gasped, struggling to breathe now
" We have collectively sworn to never return to a nest.... !"

Abruptly I tossed him onto the ground. " My travels will bring me to the harsher part of the planets ecosystem, a barren parched land. It is dry.... There is a scarcity of water with nothing to quench your thirst for miles! The creatures are hardy and quick to scatter, many nights of hunger are not uncommon! Is that what you want or wish?!" My tone harsh, a loud whisper carried over to only him.

He scrambles up onto his feet already recovering some composure " If we stay... The probability is higher that we will not survive from our circumstances!?" His eyes quiver " our children should not be subject to such a morbid fate, it is unconscionable even from you, have mercy " the polite facade dropping and a wilder look replaced on his visage.

I know well of his group circumstances. They are still weak from the disease albeit less now.

Once they were more abundant in the beginning. Those left are the lucky few who have survived.

Many in their weaken state had been taken, predated upon by species we normally pay no heed.

Some where taken by a pack of Canis, a small four legged alien with a soft coat of fur and the wild cousin of the highly favored companion of humans. Or stalked for many days by the lonely and even more elusive Felid an expert ambush predator, awaiting for an awry nest member struggling with the pace to be left behind unbeknownst by the others.