21 Hours

Carrie

The drive to town didn't feel very long, because Jason let Max drive, and I sat next to him in the backseat. He kept trying to run his hand up my skirt, and I laughed and swatted him away every time.

"I think I'm going to vomit, and I've barely drank anything," Porter complained, shooting Jason a look over his shoulder.

"Need me to pull over?" Max offered.

"No, I'm making a point, Max."

Max shrugged. "Don't worry about them. Hopefully that'll be us someday soon." He had a wistful note in his voice I couldn't miss. I suddenly felt guilty for our antics. I so easily remembered being that mateless wolf, and the way all the happy mated couples had made me feel hollow inside, even when I hadn't been willing to admit it. How much worse might it be for Max since he knew his mate but couldn't locate her?

I smacked Jason's hand again and shot him a serious look. "This is probably depressing for them."

"I waited so long for you, babe. But maybe you have a point."

"Be good, and I'll find a way to reward you when we get home."

"I'll be good. Scout's honor, or something something."

I pecked his cheek.

We pulled up to Angie's a few minutes later and made our way inside. We had arrived before Amanda and her friends, so we claimed a table and ordered drinks.

Jason sent a dark look towards one human who looked my way too long, but he seemed otherwise unconcerned.

We threw back a couple of shots, and then I sipped my drink while watching for Amanda. I didn't have to wait long. The moment she walked in the door I spotted her instantly, her hair like a cloud of fire around her face. She beamed at me when she saw me, and headed straight over.

"I'm so glad you made it."

I smiled as she introduced her trio of friends. I really tried to like them, but I gritted my teeth when their eyes ran over Jason. He was mine, but they were looking at him as if he was available. My wolf grumbled in the back of my mind.

If I stopped to think about it I couldn't really blame them, since he just oozed sex appeal, that bad boy bravado held in check by good boy restraint. He was delicious. Why had I wanted to come out again? I should have kept him at home.

"So, this is my boyfriend, Jason, and these two are Max and Porter."

To Amanda's credit, she barely glanced at my mate with curious eyes before tucking her head closer to me and whispering a shout over the music, "What happened to Greg?"

"Ah, we broke up," I lied, cursing myself for forgetting my old cover stories. I should have named my imaginary boyfriend Jason apparently. "He was away too much. And not faithful?"

She seemed to accept my explanation. "Well, as long as you're happy. This new one is super hot."

My wolf's irritation shot up, along with more irrational jealousy. "I really am happy." I smiled past my wolf's possessiveness.

Her eyes wandered across the guys again, stopping on our huge blond beta. Porter had been staring at her, but as soon as she looked at him he looked away. His knuckles were white gripping the side of his chair, but before I could speculate, Jason interrupted my conversation with Amanda.

He smiled at her charmingly. "Could I steal my girlfriend away for a dance?"

"Definitely," she agreed happily.