33 Paperwork

Author's Note: This is the second chapter of a double update! If you were brought here first, head back to 32.

—————

Carrie

The moon hung high in the sky above us, lighting the area of forest where we were to hold the ceremony. Through the trees, the light caught my dress and made it appear to shine. The particular spot had been chosen because the forest was less dense, although it was not a true clearing like most packs used. That didn't matter. It was wild and new, like our pack.

I stood at the edge, my heart pounding, looking around at the people who would trust me to help lead them in the future, including our new potential rogue recruits. They were not official yet, but they would still be trusted to participate in the run. Even our youngest member was there, asleep in her father Michael's arms. Porter and Randy were standing still in their human forms beside my mate, who of course looked as handsome as ever.

Normally, the sight of his bare muscular torso would have driven me to distraction, but right now I had another focus. Although that was still an impressive sight, I was about to become a part of something bigger than myself. Something I was meant to be a part of.

It felt right. My heart still hammered, but it was with excitement more than nervousness.

I walked forward, and stood in front of my mate. How strange it was that only a month ago that I was filled with conflict when I met him, but now I felt certain in him, and certain in my future.

It wouldn't be easy, but I didn't care about that. I wanted whatever would come, good or bad, and we would meet it all head on.

Jason's voice was deep and steady through the darkness. His tone was low, but everyone was able to clearly hear him as he brought me into the pack.

He cut his hand with the knife, and he held his palm out to me. I did the same and took his hand. "I present to you, Carrie Thomas, the newest member of the pack, my mate, and your luna."

Cheers and howls went up from my people, along with the cry of one indignant baby, startled from sleep by the noise. I smiled as the pain of the newly established link ran through my head, along with the voices of excited congratulations and welcome. Jason wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close for a kiss to a chorus of laughter and a couple of wolf whistles.

Everyone who was not already covered in fur began to transform, and Krystal carried the baby off towards their trailer. She too would transform, but she would stay by their child's side until Michael returned to take a turn watching over the pup. I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't convinced Kain into taking a turn as well. Other wolves would run by to help guard them as the night progressed. Our wolves were very protective of the pack's young. If Jason and I had pups, it would be a similar situation until they were old enough to join the run.

During the moon, the pack was also very protective of our territory. Packs typically did not set patrols on the night of the full moon, because the wolves were out in full force. While they played, they also watched, and instinctively covered the territory. Our wolves led us this night, and were far more in tune with their instincts than their humans.

And my wolf instincts led me straight to Jason. We both stripped, his eyes bright on me in the moonlight, and then shifted. We ran with our pack through the greyscale darkness. Even our potential recruits joined in the bonding, and everyone felt freer and lighter by the time dawn broke.

I still missed my family and friends from Greenwoods, but for the first time since I had been banished, I did not even slightly miss my home, because I was home.

—————

The next few days, Porter was still moping around the territory, apparently not having had much luck with Amanda. He never spoke of the situation, although there was little sign of the lighthearted beta I had first met when I had arrived. Max left on a hunt for his mate, and he promised to send back any pack members of Glenhaven that he encountered if they wanted to become a part of us. Most he had found were understandably concerned about the idea of poking their heads out of where they were hiding, but if they weren't too settled, I imagined they would be interested.