43 Ability

Carrie

"Jason! Come here, it's happening."

I wouldn't allow him to be in the bathroom with me while I peed on a plastic stick, so he waited outside the door and came inside the moment I said he could. I couldn't bring myself to look so I stared at the ceiling instead.

"This is it, huh? What's the line mean?"

"There's always one line. It's the second one that makes the plus sign that means we're having one." I couldn't bring myself to say either baby or pup out loud. It was too surreal.

From the corner of my eye I saw him looking closely at the plastic that would predict our future. "You mean like this?"

"You better not be messing with me." I looked down at the little plus sign on the test in his hand and nearly had a heart attack. I met Jason's steady eyes in the mirror. "Why aren't you freaking out right now?"

He shrugged. "Because I was already pretty sure you were pregnant."

"You were not!"

"I was. You see, Carrie, when two werewolves really love each other, the female goes into heat and—if they're us—they have sex about fifty times while she's most fertile and nature takes its course."

For his bad joke, I smacked him on the arm, but not hard. "It was not fifty times."

"You might be right. I did question if I was underestimating, but I didn't want to sound too cocky."

I playfully smacked him again, but then I kissed him. We were going to have a pup.

This aggravating male and I were going to be parents. Unbelievable.

He deepened the kiss and pulled me up against him more firmly.

"You're right. We should definitely start practicing making a sibling. Wouldn't want our kid to be lonely growing up." I could feel him smirk against my mouth.

I could have thrown a bunch of snarky responses at him, but instead I wrapped my legs around him as he lifted me up, his hardness rubbing against my center teasingly as he began to walk from the room. I hummed appreciatively as he lowered us to the bed without breaking contact.

Kissing him fiercely, my hands slid down his sides, and gripped his back as he ground into me through our clothing. At the same time his hands wandered along up my body and under my shirt, pausing briefly on my stomach. I wondered if he was thinking about the new life that was resting there, but before I could ask, his hands cupped my breasts and I whimpered as the sensation shot through me. Like everything he did, the contact between our skin built the ache between my legs.

Of course the cocky male knew, because I could practically feel his irritating satisfaction through the bond. He liked that he practically had me begging for more. I was going to make him beg, for a—

His hand slipped between my legs, completely distracting me from my vengeful plans. How was I supposed to think about anything beside what he was doing? I could torture him later...

His mouth followed his hand, and any thoughts I had were blasted to the four winds as he licked and sucked. "Jason," I said, but whether I was demanding or begging I wasn't sure. All I knew was my hips thrust up towards him without conscious thought, seeking more from the male who could make me shatter like no one else.

Tremors of release ran through me, and he pushed me towards that edge two more times before his hard length found its way home, and I held onto him as if he were my only life raft in an ocean of problems.

And he was. He throbbed as he spilled into me, and my body clenched him in response in a physical claim. I loved him, and there would be no one else for me.

—————

I would have lay in Jason's arms all afternoon, but unfortunately we were as busy as ever. It was one thing to take a euphemistic lunch break together, and another entirely to skip work when we had to go to deal with Bluegorge's claims against us. Everything was balanced on a dime, the Alpha Assembly could decide that we were a completely legitimate pack, or they could order us to disband.

We were under no legal obligation to obey their dictates, but since the majority of strong packs supported the association it was difficult for smaller packs to go their own way. We could ignore them, but it would be difficult to manage without their resources long term.

It hadn't been so clear when I was in an official established pack, but the Alpha Assembly now seemed little better than a corrupt, bullying cabal. What right did packs like Bluegorge have to interfere in the business of unaffiliated free wolves? I wished that our little pack had the power to stand against them if we decided, like the bigger packs.

Well, maybe one day. But for now we had to convince them both of our legitimacy and our good intentions. Once we were over that hurdle, we could focus on growing.

Although, even without our conscious attention, our pack was growing. Counting our potential recruits, we were up to forty-seven wolves, and we had also turned away a few that were too risky. I had felt bad, but security was more important than giving every wolf a home at this point. It seemed that word was spreading that there was a new pack accepting rogues, and they were coming in droves.

It worried me, not because sane rogues were necessarily significantly more dangerous than pack wolves, but because if members kept coming in as they were, in numbers we would be an average sized pack in only a few years. While this might be good, it would only give Bluegorge more ammo to consider us a threat. Maybe it was actually a good thing they challenged us now. Most alphas would look at a pack of fifty wolves and scoff.

Because we were getting in over our heads in terms of resources, Jason had reluctantly decided we would temporarily turn away some of the newer recruits until we could handle the numbers. We couldn't take in more than we could feed, and there was a limit to what I could do even with finding better bulk suppliers and cutting corners. We also needed our new members to be properly assimilated.

It was a mess of complex problems, but we worked through them together.

When Jason wasn't being cocky, he was actually level headed, and our personalities meshed well. He was nervous about having to plead our case at the assembly, although he refused to admit it, but I had full confidence in him. He was a capable alpha, and I was sure he would pass this first test of his power and ability.