Chapter 1: Back in Time

"Ugh."

Her head was throbbing as she tried to adjust her vision and look around. Lifting her body to the bed, her throat felt parched as she tried to process the situation. Holding her throbbing head, she examined the familiar room she was in.

This is!..

It's definitely the same room she used when she was still the duchess. But she couldn't comprehend how she got back.

What happened? I certainly died back there. I can still vaguely feel the cold metal that pierced my abdomen. And that man... he undoubtfully slit my throat to death!

Eloise hastily got out of bed and looked herself at the full-length mirror. Her eyes widened in shocked as it dawned on her that she was still alive.

This is absurd!

She examined her neck and abdomen closely but there are no traces of wounds nor any drop of blood. Her night gown neatly draped over her slender body with only a few wrinkles from her sleep.

"Did I go back in time?"

She stood stunned in front of the mirror as she tried to process everything. She could not believe it. She was still trapped in a trail of thoughts when she heard a knock.

"Your Grace, are you awake?" a maid called out from the other side of the closed door.

"Come in."

A familiar face appeared from the door that only confirmed her suspicion. It was a face that she thought she wouldn't see again. Lydia, a maid who served her during her stay at the Capital.

Her eyes began to blur, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she sniffled quietly. Lydia was one of the Duke's people who remained by her side. She tended to her without contempt even while knowing that she won't gain anything. She may wield the title of Duchess but she held no power.

She immediately avoided her gaze before a lone tear trickled down her cheek. She cannot let her see or she might think that she was acting weird.

"Your Grace, I have come to inform you that His Grace has safely returned."

The Duke?!

Eloise felt her body gone cold at the mention of her husband. She felt the pain of betrayal rushing back as she hardly clutched her dress. The thought of meeting him again made her feel a whirlwind of emotions.

The suffocating feeling of anger, deceit and fear filled her heart as strength left her body and she staggered back in bed. She was really back. And it means that she will experience the same tragedy again.

"Your Grace, are you alright? Your face looks pale." Lydia rushed to her side to tend on her.

"A-ah.. I feel unwell today. I'm sorry but I cannot go down to greet His Grace. I'll see him later when I feel better."

"Yes, I'll inform His Grace and quickly go back. Please rest while I'm gone." Worry was written all over her face as she reluctantly left the room.

Eloise waited for Lydia to shut the door before she took steps towards the window. Outside, she could see the servants lined up as they wait for their master's arrival. Before long, a trail of horses entered the residence, mounted by knights in black armor with the Falcon crest inscribed in gold, the insignia of the house of Fleiss.

The man leading the group removed his helmet, revealing his dark hair and unusual golden eyes, a feature that made him stand out among the rest. Even from afar, she could recognize her husband who hired a mercenary to kill her after signing their divorce papers. She painfully clutched her chest as she stares at him from the second floor of the mansion.

Eloiseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें