Chapter 22: Winter on Fall

A look of resolution was painted on her doll-like appearance. Clenching her fist to the side of her skirt, Eloise never felt more determined than now. She is going to change everything. She refuse to die miserably in this life.

Memories kept flashing in her mind as she approaches. Everything felt vivid like it was just yesterday. Inside, she laughed bitterly at her miserable life. The painful whiplashes and cruel words she took from her family, her sharp voice cutting in the air as her consciousness slipping out of her body every time the whip struck her back, adding new slashes when the previous ones haven't even healed. She swallowed her sobs and closed her eyes tightly, hoping she could just die than experience that life-long torture.

The dreadful day her father sold her out in marriage. At first, there was a faint hope that her marriage with Nathan would make her free from her father's shackles.

But her husband was terrifyingly cold and distant. He always had an impenetratable wall, trusting no one even his own knights. His mere gaze made her shudder in fear and look down. Years of experiencing abuse with her own family made her so timid and meek. Fearing that getting on his nerves, his strong arms might end up strangling her or locking her up on a moldy, dark basement. Still, even though they were distant, she was still thankful. Her marriage freed her from her family's abuse. She no longer cowers at her father's whip nor locked up.

Nathan was like her answered prayer. He served as light in her darkest days. Receiving his warmth, she began to crave for his affection. He mistook his kindness to love and fell for him. But the news of his lover shattered the hopefulness she was weaving by herself.

All the terrible gossips and rumors about his affair poured into her ear, suffocating her. Every word leaving a deep scar of betrayal and doubt in her heart.

Having no one to share her despair, she cries in her room all night, hating herself even more and her life.

Flashes of all that painful memories halted in sync with her tracks as she approached the tea table. The bitterness felt much stronger as she took a closer look of his face. Giving a small, firm smile, she gracefully sat at the opposite chair.

His expression was so calm as always, his long lashes veiled the pair of cold, golden orbs beneath as he gracefully draw the cup of black tea on his mouth.

"You've asked me for tea, is there something you wanted to talk about?" Eloise inquired as soon as she sat down.

The rashness made his brows crease. It was like an implication that she wanted to end the meeting shortly and wasn't comfortable with his company.

"Good to see you too, my lady." He answered with sarcasm, his lips forming in a thin line as his eyes became colder, "Is it weird for me to ask my wife for tea?"

'Maybe not for others, but it is for you.' She wanted to say, but chose to bury those words in her mind.

She clasped her skirt tightly and avoided his stare. She picked her cup and the sweet and flowery scent of jasmine lingered in her nostrils.

"I asked them to prepare jasmine tea for you. I know you're not fond of strong teas."

Eloise stiffened from his words, yet he appeared calm and unbothered. It was this kindness that she mistook as affection.

"Thank you."

Nathaniel sensed the coldness of her attitude and was left puzzled. Their last conversation ended on a good note. It made him assume that their relationship was not at strain even though he was away for long.

He stealthily glanced at her neck, seeking for a particular object but the necklace that caught his eyes was not sapphire, but obsidian. Disappointment flashed through his eyes for a moment before his long lashes concealed it as he stared down at his cup of black tea.