Chapter 9: Iowa

And so, the day of their arrival came. Others would consider it a normal day but not for Eloise. The sun was at its peak when the carriage came to a halt. Eloise could hear Knox talking to the guards outside. She peaked at a small gap in between the curtains of the carriage window. In front of them is the familiar unending wall that secures the safety of the northern people guarded by trained knights, with a huge silver gate located at the entrance.

We're here.

Eloise felt uneasy, any minute now she would set foot to the place she considered home and a prison. Her last memories in the Fleiss duchy were painful and torture to her. She bit her lower lip, the scenes of her death were still fresh. It kept replaying on her mind.

I should hurry with my plans.

She was brought back on her trance when the carriage started moving. As they enter the huge silver gates, the guards bowed as a sign of salutation and greeting. As they paraded the streets with the Duke's Knight in lead, villagers stopped dead on their tracks to watch them pass by. People are shouting with joy, their faces are full of delight and anticipation. Some people are shocked, but most of them are searching for a certain person, the Duke.

Duke Nathan should be the one leading at the front together with his mighty knights. After the news of his triumph in the war broke, it spread like a wildfire across Remington to the point that it even reached the neighboring Kingdoms. The proud citizens of the north can't wait for their courageous Duke to arrive and greet him. However, it wasn't what they expected.

"Where is His Grace?"

"Why is the Duchess alone?"

Whispers of people replaced the joyful streets, all of them asking the same thing. Eloise felt anxious and worried.

Maybe I should've waited for him.

Eloise sighed, then she heard Knox speaking from outside. He was sitting in the box seat of the carriage together with the coachman.

"Don't mind them Your Grace."

Knox reassured which she responded with a thank you. As they continue to ascend the roads towards the Fleiss Duchy, Eloise could see the familiar street from the small gap created in between the curtains. They pass by the famous pastry shop of Mrs. Norris, which she often visits for their cakes. They sell the most delectable pastries in town. Next to Mrs. Norris bakery was the butchery of Sir Arthur, a former knight of the past Duke, her father-in-law. They are known not only for their business but also their arguments. Their relationship was the same as cats and dogs, arguing was part of their daily routine which people find entertaining. A smile manages to form in her lips as she reminisce.

"We're almost there Your Grace."

Knox informed which caught her attention making her heart clench. Her smile suddenly faded replaced by anxiousness. Biting her lower lip again, she saw a glimpse of the Golden Gate with a Falcon insignia as they approached the end of the road. Even the gate speaks power, wealth and authority looking magnificent as it gleam brightly under the sun.

The guard knights opened the gate bowing as they enter. From a distance Eloise could see all the servants and maid gathered in two parallel lines at the entrance door of the duchy. Just like the people in town their eyes are also searching for the Duke. When the carriage came to a full stop, Eloise clenched her fist so tight it made her knuckles white. Her heart did not help as it started to beat wilder than ever.

Shuffling could be heard outside, not too long she could see a shadow approaching the carriage door. Eloise unclenched her fist, Knox opened the door and offered a hand to her which she gladly accepted. As soon as she stepped out of the carriage, the maids and servants bowed in unison to greet and welcome her arrival.