- 00

- PROLOGUE -

. . .

It was just past five in the morning when Rory awoke, the sound of window panes rattling in their place. The girl's eyes blinked open, heavily-lidded and still in the dazed stage between dreaming and living.

Her thick duvet was twisted between her legs, holding her in place. The green pattern hung by her hips, dipping every so often to reveal the satin skirt of her nightdress, the top half crinkled, obstructed.

Eyes slightly blurry, she pushed herself up, hands digging into the mattress as she sat up. Lorelai glimpsed around her room, half expecting to see the arrival of her cat - an energetic creature named Sadie, who enjoyed prowling around the neighbourhood during the late hours of the night.

It was her only sane, unfiltered interaction Rory had with any of her family, her parents didn't live near by, and her friend almost just as manic as her cousin.

The banging sound echoed through her mind once more, and covering up her yawn, she looked around. Her room was covered in a blue hue, the early morning filter covering her room.

A glance over to her door rejected the idea of it being Sadie from her mind, and Rory pushed herself away from her bed further, covers slipping off her body as if they weren't there at all. Her bare feet hit the wooden floor, creaking under her weight as she stood up, stepping forward into the faint panel of light created by her window.

The noise could be heard again, but this time was a Curt, rather elegant knock. Twisting her head to the side, Rory set eyes on a familiar blond girl, hair flowing past her shoulders and almost glowing under the moonlight.

"You idiot." She gasped, moving nimbly over to the window, fingers digging just slightly into the white paint as she pushed the window up. "You literally live with me, James, why are you there?"

Rory climbed onto the window seat, pushing the frame open a little further as she stuck her legs out of it, shimmying through until she was sat on the roof, still in her nightdress, sitting with her legs in front of her.

"Good morning to you too, aren't you glad I woke you up?" She tilted her head, looking towards her best friend.

"Sure." Rory laughed, a sound that sounded far more ethereal in the moonlight. After pausing for a moment, the girl turned and pushed the window down until there was barely an inch until it was closed. "I thought you were Sadie."

"I suppose I could resemble her in someways." Amor grinned, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I bet you can't guess why I'm here."

"I bet I can - I just want to know why so early in the morning? It's barely dawn, James, yet you're sat on the roof of our kitchen." Rory replied, confusion filling her mind, thoughts still slightly dazed on the brink of rest and being awake. "You do own multiple pairs of front door keys, you know?"

"Yet I still don't seem to have a pair on me." Amor pointed out, mirth filling her voice as she pointed towards her pockets. "If I did, I wouldn't be here."

"Let me guess the real reason: you're awake before seven - which is by far the earliest you've woken me up. Which means only one thing - you were out with a certain man living only a few doors up the road." The Miller girl finished with a triumphant grin.

"So i did - and it was great fun too." Amor said, glancing down at the watch ticking on her wrist. "Billy wanted you, by the way."

"And you were planning on telling me when?" Rory replied, twisting around and pulling the window open again, flooding her room with the early morning air. "Come on, James. But seriously, when did you see Mr Wonderful?"

Amor grinned as she followed Lorelai into her room, slipping across the room and sitting down on her unmade bed, grinning like a madman. "He said he needed you by six - meaning you have just under half an hour to get ready." Amor said, in a way that made Rory think she had learnt it by heart.

"Ah, Mr Wonderful does enjoy having me up at the very best of times." She commented, voice low as she moved over to her wardrobe, brushing a mess of clothes aside as she pulled open the doors; the various knickknacks attached to the walls clattering against the wood.

"Of course he does." Amor scoffed as she watched Rory pull out several items of clothing, before settling on a pair of lace up boots and a black dress. Averting her eyes as she began to change, Amor watched rays of sun hit the glass of water on her vanity, rainbows dancing across the floor. "Are you ready?" She asked, watching her friend in the mirror.

"Just a moment." Amor waited as she disappeared out of the room, reappearing moments later with her face washed and hair brushed. "Did he say if there was breakfast?" Rory asked, sliding a clip into her hair, returning to the mirror and applying a minimal amount of makeup before pulling on her shoes.

"I doubt it - he seemed quite aggravated, maybe even eager to go somewhere?" Amor stood up, Rory pulling her bed covers out of the heap, trying to arrange it neatly. "Nevermind - I'd just go."

With that, the Miller girl twisted round and wandered towards the window, grabbing her bag on the way out and then carefully climbing out the frame and walking across the roof towards the metal ladder leaning against the wall.

And then she was on her way to see her cousin once again.