- 17

- CHAPTER SEVENTEEN -

- IN WHICH SHE SERVES

. . .

RORY WAS COMPLETELY and utterly amazed at the fact that it was only a mere one in the afternoon. And following that, she was amazed at her ability to travel to a Brothel, coerce a mother from her solitude, attend a meeting, and now follow the entire collection of Peaky Blinders up to The Garrison whilst a hangover from the night before very slowly dissolved.

It was already far too clear that by the time she would find herself in bed, the day would be gone, another withering drunken feeling would be familiarising itself with her body. And quite frankly she wasn't entirely convinced that was where she would like to be, though no doubt she wouldn't stop it from happening.

Apparently the quick stop at the pub before anything else would take place was only the start of an intoxicated Rory - whether she would choose to follow through with it all, she was unsure.

"All right, lads, listen up." Tommy's voice was already meeting her ears before she made it through the second set of doors, the girl ignoring it as she slid off a jacket she'd stolen from Polly and hung it on the coat stand by the bar. "You have a pint and a chaser, no more. On the house."

Rory used the hairband wrapped around her wrist to pull her hair back into a ponytail, gaze following past the men to watch Sadie sprawl out across a table situated beneath a pool of sun, a silver bowl filled to the rim with milk just beside her.

A smile fell onto her features, the Miller chuckling under her breath as she joined Grace and Harry behind the bar - It was almost second nature to be behind there, routine falling into place as she got to reaching for glasses beneath the counter.

Her shoes continuously changed direction between her grabbing bottles from the surface behind to helping refill the secretive pints Tommy hadn't noticed, the girl trying to block out the conversation taking place between the man and Grace right beside her.

She paused in her movements, the smile brought on from listening to the men chatter between one another sliding off her features as Grace disappeared into the backroom. Her eyes darted to Tommy who looked baffled, contemplating on what he had said.

"Go on Tommy, go out the back and give her a good seeing to before we go." Arthur wore an amused expression, waiting for the man to turn his back before swallowing the rest of his drink and demanding another one from Harry.

Rory rolled her eyes subtly, sliding a refilled glass along the bar towards one of the men at the edge. She took a sip of Arthur's drink when he wasn't looking, needing the infused alcohol to calm her nerves as opposed to using it for its intended purpose.

But she soon found one sip turning into swallowing the whole thing, dark eyes gleaming with worry as the Shelby turned back to face her with Jeremiah stood a little further behind. "Cover your eyes, Rory." He tilted his head to the door leading to the backroom, the girl sending him a confused look but following after him and the man.

"Right, tell him what you've just told me." Arthur's voice was stern, the man not hesitating to speak as he pulled open the door with Jeremiah and Rory behind him.

"Just heard there's two vans driving up the Stratford Road." The Jesus man explained rushingly. "An old corporal of mine said he recognised some of the men. He said it's the Kimber boys and they're heading this way-"