❝casual talk❞

"WHAT are you up to?"

At the sound of Wooyoung's voice, Miki jerked her gaze away from the hydrangea she was planting, halting just as she was about to plant it in the hole she had dug up. "A new hobby."

Their backyard was currently in a state of chaos, the result of Miki losing her mind to boredom during her break.

Wooyoung crouched down to inspect her work, and she caught a whiff of his cologne. "Not bad," he commented, "you picked a pretty colour."

The hydrangeas were a rich shade of blue, the kind that you would glance out the window at and instantly feel uplifted.

She smiled, shuffling over to plant another one beside it. "Thanks. They're my favourite colour."

"Really?" There was a genuine tinge of surprise in his voice.

She chuckled slightly, but it came out forced. "Yeah. You learn new things every day, huh."

She didn't mean to suddenly sound so dejected, but she couldn't help but feel some of her cheerfulness slip away at the thought that he had only learnt that now, after months of being under one roof.

With each step closer, they also took three steps back.

His gaze was still trained on her, but she ignored it, focusing on the task at hand. "You can go ahead and have dinner," she said, assuming that he was going back inside. "This'll take a while, so don't wait."

Just as she thought, he stood up, and soon after, he slid the backdoor open to head inside.

Soon as he was out of earshot, Miki paused what she was doing and let out a sigh.

Her mind wandered to the other night, to the tender touch of Wooyoung's fingertips on her forehead...

The very same fingers were being waved in front of her face.

Startled, she almost lost her balance.

He was in the middle of putting on a pair of gardening gloves, and had changed out of his work clothes into casual sweats and a graphic tee.

"Don't just stare," Wooyoung smirked. "Unless you want our dinner to be delayed even further?"

Miki stared for a few more moments anyway, shaking her head in disbelief. "You're really unpredictable, you know that?"

"Perhaps." He crouched beside her once more, picking up a shovel. "But I do know that I'd rather eat dinner with you tonight."

He studied the way her face stretched into a smile, the twinkle in her eyes replacing the disappointment that was there just a few minutes ago.

A surge of impulsiveness rushed through him, and he had to look away.

Tch, that face... how unfair.