CHAPTER 29: "Every story has two sides"

HAZEL MARTINEZ

I sat in my room staring outside the huge window with my head resting on the wall. I can't do anything. Last night when I tried to escape Rafael caught me and now 24 hours there is watch on me. I am not even allowed to leave this room.

There was a knock on the door I looked at the entrance to find Connor entering.

Getting up from the window side I directly went to him and landed a hard slap on his right cheek.

I was not just mad at him, I was fuming.

He betrayed me. Not only that he fooled me pretending like he didn't know Rafael.

He stood rooted at his place with jaw clenched "I did deserve that."

"I want to slap the shit out of you right now."

He smiled "I am here to tell you something."

"I am not interested. If you want to give an explanation as to why you used me then please leave."

"I never wanted to hurt you, it just had to be done."

"Of course it had to be done for your Vincent, right?"

"Haze, listen to me. You are not thinking straight."

I scoffed "You really expect me to think straight at this point? My husband turns out to be a mafia leader who has been trying to kill me, my so-called friend is also in the mafia doing the same job as my husband and my Uncle was killed in front of my eyes that too by my husband. After all this you still expect me to think straight?"

He remained silent for a moment then spoke "We aren't trying to kill you."

"Oh really? What do you take me as? A fool?" I snapped.

I continued "The attack in the mall was to be friends with me? Then again an attack at my event was to win my trust. Not just that, you all even went to the extent of stabbing me."

"It wasn't us."

I rolled my eyes "I can't believe you are still lying to me."

"The one who stabbed you wasn't us, Haze. We would never kill you."

"Then who was the one who stabbed me if it wasn't you?"

"Your brother doesn't have one enemy, the thing we are associated with we have plenty. It was one of them who tried to kill you to make your brother weak. The attacks were so that we can get close to you, all the time you were safe. The men were instructed properly, no one would've harmed you."

"You wanted to scare me?"

He sighed then replied "As I said we did it to get close to you, to win your trust. But when you got scared and fell sick, Vincent said we should stop."

I scoffed "And why the hell would Vincent be so kind to me?"

"Haze, he doesn't want to hurt you. He instantly changed the whole plan for you."

"Should I be thankful to Vincent?"

"There are few things about Simon, you don't know. Actually many things."

"I don't want to know, not from you all atleast. I trust him."

"I'll tell you then you can decide who to trust."

I was about to deny again but there was another knock on the door, we looked at the door Rafael entered the room, he looked at me first then at Connor.

"I was searching for you." He said to Connor.