47 - the gun

✧✧

✧✧

"Nice Camera. Where'd you dig up that relic?" JJ asks as the rain pours down onto all four of us. We had been staked outside of the meeting spot for what felt like hours, JJ attempting to make me laugh by cracking the shittiest jokes like "Where do you learn to make a banana split? Sundae school! Why did the scarecrow win an award? Because he was outstanding in his field!" by the tenth joke I was about ready to snap his neck to put us out of our misery but Pope pulling out his antique of a camera beat me to it.

"Why don't you just use your phone?" I scrunch up my eyebrows, agreeing with my boyfriend. "Well first of all, shut the fuck up delilah I know you have an old polaroid in your room and I happen to like my antique electronics. And second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away." I make eye contact with kie and immediately know that we are on the same page as I bite my tongue, trying not to burst into a fit of laughter.

"lord of the dorks," she chuckles, rolling her eyes but pope just ignores her, scoping through his new, or well old toy.

"for definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass.." he trails off before footsteps start to come into earshot. "There he is." Ward stalks into view, Gavin quickly following as they disappear into the midst of the construction site.

I feel myself shiver slightly from the rain and JJ's arm is immediately wrapped around my shoulder, making lines up and down my arm. "Cold?"

"No I'm okay." I whisper, weaker than intended as another shiver vibrates my body and next to me Pope swears underneath his breath. "Shit! Where is he going?"

"Hold on." JJ pops up from his seated position next to me, winding around the corner before whistling, "Yo! I found something, come here. " he waves us toward him and a ladder comes into view and I almost let out a groan. Can I ever catch a break today or does everything we do include physical activity on this rescue mission.

"Hurry, we don't wanna miss anything!" Kie hisses from in front of me as Pope makes the climb, Kiara following in suit seconds after.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to, I know today has been exhausting enough for you, not even factoring the growing a human phenomenon."

"Do you even remotely know me Jay? Of course I'm coming, pogues for life right?" I glance up and him and through the falling rain droplets i see him crack that crooked smile of his. "That's my girl."

he hoists me up onto the ladder after him and we both shuffle our way next to the other two on the edge of the roof. "Are you getting it?"

"Yeah, yeah. I see them..." he pauses for a second, trying to take in what he's seeing through the camera lens. "Ward just handed Gavin something. I think it's a duffle bag."