54 - hiding

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

"I cannot remember the last time I was in a bikini, " I look down at my ever changing body in the lavender swimsuit I'm wearing as JJ twirls me around, moving to the music that is blasting out of the speaker. "Well you should do it more often Li, cause you look amazing in it, " he then pulls me into his chest as he lips tickle my ear, "and you'll look even better when I take it off later."

I feel a blush tinge my cheeks and I lean away a little bit, scrunching my nose, "Oh who's a tease now?" before he can reply I'm being whisked away by my best friend, dragging me onto the edge of the hot tub. "You can have her back later." Sarah yells back to JJ, throwing a wink his way.

"Don't think I didn't notice that pretty ring on your finger." Sarah whispers as soon as we're out of earshot of the boys, giving me a playful shove. "It's not what you think, I swear. It's just that while you were gone the topic of marriage was brought up between JJ and I. I mean, for Christ's sake, we're having a baby so might as well get married while we're at it." she gives me a knowing look and I sigh.

"I love him, I really do, and this is just a promise that no matter what happens in the future, one day we'll get married." I glance down at the twisted ring, spinning it on my finger as tears well up my eyes. "awe don't cry li."

my eyes meet hers and I reach forward, pulling her into a hard embrace, "God I've missed you so fucking much Sar." I ruffle her knotty hair, chuckling when my fingers get caught up in it. "Sorry, haven't had a chance to shower recently." she smooths through her golden locks, her hand hovering over her abdomen for a second and I finally notice the gauze packed there.

"Sarah, are you okay?" I instinctively reach forward, my fingertips brushing again it as she winces, lightly shoving them away. "I'm fine, I just got a little beat up in Nassau that's all." she shrugs it off, but I can tell there's more to the story.

"Sarah, just tell me what happened. I can handle it, I promise." the mood dips and I see her eyes get sad. "I- I." she starts, her bottom lip quivering and she bites down on it, almost drawing blood.

"Rafe shot me." The words are quiet but strong enough to make me sick to my stomach. "Sar, oh my god."

"We were trying to get the gold from my father and I got in the way of one of the bullets. One of the people who John B and I befriended knew a doctor. He tried to help me the best he could but my heart stopped. Then it started again, god knows how. It's a miracle I'm alive." She shakes her head and I can tell that this is effecting her more than she is leading on.

"Jesus Sar, why didn't you say something earlier!" my hand instinctively grasps at hers, and she holds on to it tight. Out of the corner of my eye I start to see some figures creeping towards camp and it doesn't take me too long to figure out who they are. fucking rafe. She opens her mouth to say something but my free hand clasps around her lips. She gives me a funny look, but I immediately start pulling but of us up the tree we were previously standing next to.

"What's going on?" she mouths to me, but I don't even have to answer back as Rafe storms right past us, glass breaking in the distance. "They were obviously just here based off of the smoke man!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Great observation, boy scout!" Barry hisses back at him and Rafe groans, "Then they're not far, you know?"

"Smokey the Bear! Look at you, bro!" Barry jokes, clearly pissing him off even more. I glance at Sarah and she winces, clutching my hand a little closer to her. "They have to be around here somewhere!"

"P4L." Barry laughs, "So your sister's a pogue for life, huh, Rafe? Now who would've thought?" next to me, Sarah's breaths start to labor, but I shake my head at her, putting my free onto her knee.

It takes a few seconds for Rafe to respond but when he does, I swear it shakes the entire treeline and Sarah's eyes clamp closed as his scream echos. Then the gun goes off.

Sar leans toward me, dodging one of them as Barry attempts to fight him for the gun. "Rafe chill! Let's bounce! We gotta go, go!" Barry practically drags the dirty blond out of the premises and I make eye contact with Sarah, both of us finally being able to exhale.

"Li, Sar where are you," we hear not even three seconds later as we are descending the tree and hands are instantly wrapped around me.

"Jay we're okay, I swear. I saw them coming, and we got up before anything bad happened." I turn to look at him in the eye, but he pulls me into another hug. "I'm not liking how dangerous this is getting for you both..." his hand brushes against my distended stomach and I instantaneously put my hand over his.

"We are okay. Now I think we should call it a night, I'm exhausted and my stomach is killing me." JJ looks down at me before nodding. "I don't think the rest of us are going to sleep a wink but you need it okay? I'll keep watch while the rest of you pack up camp so we can bust out of this joint once Pope and Kie are back."

Everyone else nods as him and I walk back to the chatue, me collapsing directly onto the hideaway bed once we reach the inside.

"This child is literally going to rip my insides apart!" I groan, curling myself into a ball as JJ shuffles next to me, rubbing small circles down the small of my back.

"I'm sorry babe, just try to sleep it off until the morning and hopefully it'll get slightly better."

Famous. Goddamn. Last. Words.

"Okay where the fuck are they?!" I snap, looking at the dock again, noticing it's still fucking empty.

"I'm sure they are fine." John B responds and I flash him a look. "Do I look like I give a flying fuck if they are okay or not? No. I just want to get off this godforsaken island so that none of us get gutted alive by Sarah's insane brother. Sorry sar." I look at her, but she just shrugs in response.

"He's gone completely mental since he shot Peterkin, so what ever he gets, he fucking deserves it. "

"Finally! Hey! Guys, don't tie up. Stop it!" JJ abruptly gets up from next to me, running down the dock as all of us follow in suit towards where Pope and Kie just pulled up.

"Wr're dipping." JJ starts piling stuff into the boat as John B and I help Sarah down the dock. "Where'd you guys go? What happened last night?"

"We slept on the break. What's up?" Pope looks confused at all of us as JJ pats him on the back. "We got to get the hell out of here."

"Sar's psychotic brother knows we're here, so we have to leave, like, now." We all climb into the boat as Kei unties it and we are off.

Fuck this.

✧✧
Guess who is finally
done with her first year
of nursing school!
Insane, I know but I
am so glad it's over. I
hope you enjoyed
and I hope to
write to you all
very soon, bye <3