XXI

Emily and Ivy must have been sitting in there for hours

Emily and Ivy must have been sitting in there for hours. When Ivy said she would confess everything, she really did mean everything. As much as she hated turning herself in, Ivy felt almost relieved to finally be telling the truth. The whole truth.

As surprising as it may sound, Emily listened to her intently, with barely any judgement in her eyes. At least until Ivy spoke of her recent killings, but in her telling of life as a hit woman, and how she didn't have the choice to leave, Emily seemed almost, understanding.

Ivy finally finished telling her story, and let out a long sigh, tilting her head back and looking at the ceiling. She rolled her neck and looked back at Emily, "That's all."

Emily nodded, "You're certain you told us everything?"

"Yes." Ivy replied, even if it was a lie. Her last lie.

"Alright, then." Emily closed her case file and clicked her pen closed. She didn't stand right away, but gave Ivy a sympathetic look, "No matter how I see what you did, whether or not your victims deserved what you brought to them, they also deserved a fair trial."

"Emily what I did saved the trauma and expense of a trial. We both know the system would've failed their victims."

Emily sighed, "What about giving the families closure? How can they feel satisfied with their monsters getting the easy way out?"

Ivy leaned forward on the table, her hands clasped together in front of her, "Ask the families."

"I'm sorry?" Emily replied, confused.

"Ask the families if they wish I didn't kill my victims. Ask them if they resent me for what I've done. When you do ask them, I guarantee not a single one will wish me ill."

"But Ivy you can't think they'd thank you? No matter how awful those people were you still killed a human being."

Ivy shrugged, "They might not, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the lives i've taken. So if you're trying to get any remorse out of me it's a waste of time."

"So you don't regret hurting anybody? Not even your own friend?"

"I never said that." Ivy retorted, looking into the one way glass knowing Spencer was on the other side of it, "I regret hurting all of you."

I've told herself she would cry but it was much harder than she thought. Her eyes were burning trying to keep her emotions under control.

"You and your team welcomed me into your little family, and for the first time in a long time I felt I had people who cared about me." Ivy cleared her throat, but her voice still cracked when she continued, "I regret keeping things from you, and deceiving you, and gaining your trust only to break it."