CHAPTER 1: BALAUE

WALLED CITY OF BALAUE, PAMPANGA, PHILIPPINES 2120 C.E.

We are tired from navigating through the thick trees in the forest surrounding Clark Air Base in Pampanga province. Using strong ropes, it feels like we are flying above the tall trees. We endure the hot sun and sweat on our bodies. Our tiredness and difficulties will be relieved soon. Even though we are scared and worried, we have to accept that the upcoming events, that everyone, including young people like me, feared and looked forward to, will happen in this changing world. The world has never been fair to our generation.

Everyone has lived in fear and apprehension since the pandemic that almost decimated the human population disseminated worldwide. It has been a century since the virus rapidly spread, claiming the lives of nearly everyone. The pandemic claimed the lives of approximately ninety-eight percent of those afflicted by the disease, with only three percent managing to recover. Two percent of the global population remained unaffected by the illness. They are referred to as the immune, sometimes they called them the red blooded or the Reds, if you will. A majority of the infected individuals who recuperated from the virus-induced ailment were Asians, including Filipinos.

No one knows why the majority of those who survived the Doomsday Virus are Asians. There haven't been any studies about the virus due to the worsening situation worldwide. There are countries where not a single person has been left, especially in places in Europe and America. No one also knows the conditions in different parts of the world due to severed communications, the internet, and airports, with only planes and the remains of those who died from the virus remaining. In the waters, no one dares to sail as most of those who survived the virus are unfamiliar with sailing using large ships. If there are any, they are afraid to travel across the vast oceans because of the ferocious sea monsters that emerged when the epidemic worsened worldwide. Indeed, these are ferocious monsters not only in the oceans but also in the forests and even in cities. This is one of the reasons why it's difficult for people to venture outside the fortified walls of the city of Balaue. The remaining area is where people are safe from the animals that have turned into savage monsters. This includes people whose blood has turned black, even more ferocious than the savage monsters. Their black blood is also the reason why they are called the Itims or Blacks.

I vividly recall our Philippine History teacher's lesson regarding the spread of the Virus and its origins. The only information we had was the intriguing discovery made by an Egyptian professor in a mummy, which ultimately turned out to be the remains of an unnamed Pharaoh buried under mysterious circumstances. It appeared that Egypt was purposely removing this unknown Pharaoh from historical records, as evidenced by the absence of a name on the tomb. The professor stumbled upon the mummy accidentally beneath their ancestral house, which had been converted into an apartment. It rapidly garnered attention and was promptly reported to the authorities at Cairo University, generating significant publicity, particularly within the media.

The mummy was carefully transported to the Cairo Museum, igniting anticipation for an extraordinary moment. A press conference was organized to unveil the opening of the reputed Pharaoh's coffin, attracting prominent figures such as politicians, consuls, archaeologists, and other distinguished personalities. An air of excitement filled the room as they anxiously awaited this rare and monumental occasion. However, unbeknownst to them, a startling twist awaited. As the coffin of the presumed Pharaoh was unveiled, a burst of green-colored smoke billowed out, enveloping the attendees. They unwittingly inhaled the smoke, which emitted a pungent odor, revealing its age of several thousand years. Concerns immediately arose about the potential dangers of the smoke, prompting a temporary halt to the program as attendees grappled with the unforeseen consequences of their inhalation.

The opening of the Pharaoh's coffin was rescheduled for three days later after being initially postponed. Unfortunately, that day coincided with the onset of unusual symptoms experienced by those who had been exposed to the smoke that emanated from the coffin. These symptoms sparked overwhelming fear and apprehension among the Cairo Museum authorities, including Ahmed Habib, the professor who had discovered the sarcophagus beneath his own house.