CHAPTER 3: BLOOD HIERARCHY

It is nearly midnight, yet I am unable to shake off the events that unfolded earlier involving Arnold - how he was attacked by the lampung beast and the anguish his mother experienced upon discovering it. I find myself seated on the windowsill of my room, embracing my knees. My gaze is fixed upon the distant glow of a street lamp, where a white cat engages in playful pursuit of fireflies. During these moments, I cannot help but draw a parallel between those fireflies and ourselves, desperately struggling against the predatory cats, just as Arnold did earlier. Life can be incredibly fragile, particularly in times like these; everything can change in an instant.

My attention was diverted from the cat by a series of knocks on my bedroom door. Opening it, my father entered, his face perpetually adorned with a smile.

"It appears my son is unable to sleep, I see," he remarked as he stepped into my room. Despite his smile, concern was evident on his weathered countenance.

"It's nothing, dad. I simply cannot shake off the events involving Arnold earlier. In particular, I feel sorry for his mother, Aling Dolor," I responded, still facing him while remaining seated on the windowsill.

"Yes, son, even I don't think I could handle it if something bad were to happen to you," my father said, as he sat beside me.

"What will happen to Aling Dolor now, being alone in life? She's already getting old and unable to work in Marangle," I inquired of my father.

"I don't know, son. Hopefully, the local government here won't neglect her, especially considering her late husband's long service as a Rayja. If only the tragedy hadn't befallen your friend, she would have served as a member of the Royal Army," my father explained, squeezing my shoulder.

"I hope so too, dad. I hope she receives assistance from the government," I said to him, sighing. "Why aren't you sleeping yet, father?" I asked, while fidgeting.

"I can't sleep either. I'm worried about the results of your blood screening, which will happen the day after tomorrow," my father answered with a serious tone.

I attempted to laugh at his comment. I didn't want to reveal to my father just how concerned I was about the outcome of my blood screening. It's undeniable that most of the youth in Balaue fear it, particularly if the circumstances don't align with our expectations. It's alright if our blood turns red, but we dread it turning black. Because many would choose death over becoming like young people like me, with black blood as their color.

"Father, I don't think God would allow my blood to turn black, especially since I come from Grandfather Arsenio lineage, who was an Immune, and you, his child, are also an Immune. It simply means that my blood will remain red," I said, making an effort to stay positive.

"You're right, my child. God is merciful, and if we are Immunes like your Grandfather Arsenio, surely you will also be an Immune or have red blood too," my father agreed.

However, I could see the evident concern in his eyes. There seemed to be a deeper reason behind his worry. It could be that my father was excessively worried because of his profound love for me as a caring parent.

My father stood up from his seat beside me.

"Well then, I will go to sleep now. Even if you can't sleep, try to rest," my father bid me farewell, gently tousling my hair on top of my head.

I instinctively touched my hair and swiftly readjusted it.

"You should get some sleep as well, and wake up early tomorrow," he added, then quickly made his way to the door of my room and stepped out. As he left, my father slowly closed the door behind him.

It has been over eighty years since the first Blood Screening took place in the city. It was conducted to study the effects of the virus on the human body, particularly on survivors of the illness. Previous studies have shown that the virus rapidly alters human DNA structure, especially in those who have survived the illness. Before, it was believed that only the DNA structure of animals could be altered. It turns out that it also altered human DNA, faster than with what it does to the animals.