CHAPTER 6: POBLACION

The next day, my father woke me up early to prepare for our trip to the City of Elders located in the heart of the Poblacion. I felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension as I dressed in the mandatory white polo shirt and black denim pants for the ceremony.

Apung Jaime, our respected elder, would be leading the delegation to present the Alay, which are the offerings, to the blood council. These offerings would include young individuals like me who have reached the age of sixteen. The names of potential candidates were submitted by Ninong Sonny two weeks prior to the Salik-dugo or blood screening ceremony. Apung Jaime would carefully review the profiles of those on the list who met the necessary criteria for the screening. Some criteria included being sixteen years old and having the blood screening done one month in advance. Additionally, there should be no signs of illness one week prior to the screening. As a Rayja trainee from the age of nine until sixteen, I have been preparing myself to be ready to give my life and loyalty to Lakan Datu and the people of Balaue. It is my duty to protect the Lakan, the citizens, and the city's constitution. I must faithfully serve the Lakan, the citizens, and the government of Balaue at all times. These are just a few of the criteria for being included in the list for the blood screening.

Meanwhile, Apung Hilario would oversee the blood extraction process for the Alay, referring to those of us who would undergo the blood screening. This process would determine if the blood of an Alay like me contains normal red and white blood cells or if there are any changes in color due to modifications caused by the Doomsday Virus in the human body.

By 7:30 in the morning, Ninong Sonny's vehicle had parked in front of our house. I glanced out the window and saw Salve stepping out of the car. My father warmly welcomed them as they made their way towards our front door.

"Thor, your Ninong Sonny and Salve are here. Come down so we won't be late for the screening. Hurry up!," Father called out to me in his deep, baritone voice.

Upon hearing my Father, I quickly took my citizenship ID card and hung it around my neck. Then, I hurriedly went down the stairs to the living room. From the open front door of our house, I could clearly see Salve smiling at me. Her jet-black hair was neatly tied, and her gentle face exuded beauty. She was also wearing the Type B uniform that we use for Rayja training.

It felt like my feet were floating as I approached the front door of our house where Father, Ninong Sonny, and Salve were. I was filled with a mix of nervousness and excitement in those moments, and I knew Salve felt the same way.

"Oh, it seems Thor is ready as well," Ninong said with a smiling voice upon seeing me.

"Nong, may I have your blessing," I said, quickly taking his hand to perform the mano gesture.

"May God have mercy on you, Thor," Ninong Sonny replied, tapping my shoulder twice.

I shifted my gaze to my godsister, Salve. She smiled at me, and I felt happy because just the other day, she mourned the death of Arnold. Then I approached her with a sweet smile on my face.

"How are you?" I asked Salve.

Salve shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

"I'm doing fine. And how about you?" she replied. "I heard you brought a girl home," she added.

I laughed at her last statement. "From whom did you hear that?" I inquired about what she said.

"From your dad, your father apparently told my dad," she replied to my question. "Who is she?"

I suppressed a laugh at Salve's reaction as she interrogated me about the incident that my father relayed to hers.

"...do I know her?" she added.